Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Corruption of the morals of a minor

David100

Jurisdiction
New York
I reported fraudulent charges on my credit card that was used to buy an AirBnb in NY, presumably by a kid i was paid by his family to teach and mentor. But now Im worried that once the detectives interview me, I can potentially get myself into legal problems myself with what happened:
Here is the situation:
The kid is very manipulative, so he was really pushing me to help him get an AirBnb place where he could watch the superbowl (he's 15), and telling me he was going to get me fired if I dont do that., which was a valid threat of me losing my job. So I just went along with it, and hoped the booking wouldnt go through, or else id have to go to his parents about the idea. but luckily, and i dont remember why, (if i used the wrong pin at first, or there wasnt enough credit on the card, or possibly both) the transactions were not going through on my card and airbnb wouldnt let me book anything with them because i didnt show proper ID, so i was able to just say to him that it didnt go through without it being "my fault". so i thought that was over.
However somehow I ended up with all these unauthorized charges on my card, which he denies using or making. I strongly suspect it was him though, since I made the attempts (that didnt go through) on his computer at first, and maybe he got hold of my #'s somehow. (I definitely didnt authorize him to use my card on his own). How much of the above is wise to tell the detective or should I not be discussing any of this with him, especially if it makes me look bad or guilty of a crime for my actions, even though i intended it to "not work out"?
Thanks for any advice, as well as what might have been a better option of what to do if your job is on the line unless you do something wrong, other than just trying to pretend to go along with it but see that it just "doesnt work out". Going to the parents would be the best option obviously, but it probably would have cost me the job, from the kid doing something else to get me fired, for a job that I couldnt afford to lose.

It would be impossible for Benny (no matter his age) to deny using your credit card ILLEGALLY if you simply play dumb and say, "I never went to any lousy AirBnB. These charges are fraudulent. I've reported the unauthorized charges to my credit card issuer. The company is investigating."

Then STFU.

Would you rather lose a nothing job wiping the snotty noses of adolescents OR your freedom and reputation to become known as a PEDOPHILE?

If you get fired, you can get another job.

If you get 5 years in a filthy prison, lose your butt virginity to BIG BOPPER and SLASHER SUTTON, isn't that worse than losing a lousy job trying to mentor criminals, thieves, and bullies?

I suspect you will lose the job once the parents find out you accuse the kid.
The kid will certainly tell that you tried to make the purchase. If that information is going to come out it would be best to hear it from you first.
What you did was not wise, but was not fraudulent either given that you did not intend for the transaction to complete. Failure to disclose the truth right away could work against you.
If you are going to send detectives to the kid then you may as well start looking for new employment now.
What should you have done? Tell the kid "no" and tell his parents.

It makes zero sense why you wouldn't go to Junior's parents and say, "Junior has been asking me to rent an Air BNB for him to watch the SuperBowl. I have told him "no" of course, but wanted you to be aware of his request." If you can't stand up to a 15 year old or come to me as the parent when the kid is asking for something unreasonable, then yes, I'd be looking for a different tutor.

There is no reason to think Junior is making the fraudulent charges (unless all the charges are his favorite store or something). It is possible when you used the card to book the number was hacked. The police are investigating so I'd just tell them if anything you used the card online to try and book an Air BNB and leave out that you did so because a 15 year old talked you into it.

Back