Deportation, Re-entry conviction and deportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxpandian

Hi

Right now I am unable to disclose my residence address. I am on a L1- visa in the USA.

I have committed a credit card fraud wihout knowing the consequences. The victim lives in another state and has most likely filed charges on me. I am expecting a visit anytime by the law enforcement authorities. The sum of money involved in about $3500. Under the statute of my present state of residence, this is considered as Felony Class H.

I need advice on my deportation status. When I visited several sites, the mention is about minimum 1 year prison statement (or) amount more than $10000 to be considered deportable.

If I am arrested, can you advice on what should be my plea (if it makes a difference) and how should I approach this matter.

Any advice to preserve my status is highly welcome!!

You definitely would want to be represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney with a lot of experience in immigration matters or, by a criminal defense attorney who is willing to work with an immigration attorney. Not all criminal defense attorneys are aware of the dire consequences of crimes under immigration laws so that is very important.

Being charged with felony theft means an almost assured deportation in case of a conviction. Theft or fraud or similar crimes are crimes of moral turpitude. Felonies by definition carry a maximum sentence which is greater than one year, therefore a conviction makes an alien deportable.

The best hope, if the case is a strong one, would be to plead the case down to a misdemeanor. But this is what the attorneys should discuss with you after reviewing the whole case.

Hi. Someone close to me has done something really wrong. She was under emotional trama and did not think straight. She got caught stealing over $400 worth of stuff. However, the lawyer was able to decrease the sentence to one year of house arrest and he changed it to a misdeamor (sorry). Also, the court said something about in saying she was guilty of the crime on her file. Something about her not being guilty or innocent. Is she capable of being deported and can she ever return to the U.S. if it happens?
Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back