Contracts and misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

azip83

I am currently having a home built. During the contracts phase of this purchase, we met with the salesperson and signed the contracts. The salesperson then had to take the completed contract back to his manager to get the builder's signature. The next day he came to me reporting that the price had risen due to a tree-credit issue for the county. I asked for correspondence indicating that this change occurred near the time of our contract to justify their changing of the price before they would sign the agreement. The salesperson said he would ask and later informed me that they would provide something in the near future. I kept asking for the correspondence from the county and almost two months later was provide an internal memo that stated all houses in the subdivision were to be increased by $3k. This memo was amazingly dated March 21, two days prior to them offering the house to us. Later I was to find out that until they signed the contract there was no legally binding agreement.

I believe the memo was produced well after the event where the builder told me about the increase. I believe this because I continually asked for the correspondence they promised. The salesperson told me on the day after we signed the contract that other homes increased in price more than mine. Therefore, the part of the memo stating that all home prices were to increase by $3k was incorrect. Also the salesperson reported that another party forfeited their deposit and backed out of the deal due to this. The memo says that buyers will be provided a full refund on their deposit. My question is...If things happened as I suspect, did "fraud" occur? If so, is there a case against this company? What outcome might one expect other than to drag the builder's name through the mud?

Finally, I am relatively certain that there was one other buyer in the community that experienced my situation. If I could get them to attest to the fact they had to pay an additional $5k (versus the $3k in the memo), would that strengthen the case against them or otherwise change the affect and outcome?

azip83 said:
I am currently having a home built. During the contracts phase of this purchase, we met with the salesperson and signed the contracts. The salesperson then had to take the completed contract back to his manager to get the builder's signature. The next day he came to me reporting that the price had risen due to a tree-credit issue for the county. I asked for correspondence indicating that this change occurred near the time of our contract to justify their changing of the price before they would sign the agreement. The salesperson said he would ask and later informed me that they would provide something in the near future. I kept asking for the correspondence from the county and almost two months later was provide an internal memo that stated all houses in the subdivision were to be increased by $3k. This memo was amazingly dated March 21, two days prior to them offering the house to us. Later I was to find out that until they signed the contract there was no legally binding agreement.

I believe the memo was produced well after the event where the builder told me about the increase. I believe this because I continually asked for the correspondence they promised. The salesperson told me on the day after we signed the contract that other homes increased in price more than mine. Therefore, the part of the memo stating that all home prices were to increase by $3k was incorrect. Also the salesperson reported that another party forfeited their deposit and backed out of the deal due to this. The memo says that buyers will be provided a full refund on their deposit. My question is...If things happened as I suspect, did "fraud" occur? If so, is there a case against this company? What outcome might one expect other than to drag the builder's name through the mud?

Finally, I am relatively certain that there was one other buyer in the community that experienced my situation. If I could get them to attest to the fact they had to pay an additional $5k (versus the $3k in the memo), would that strengthen the case against them or otherwise change the affect and outcome?
I'm not sure you could make a charge of "fraud." It's not unheard of that selling tactics include last minute "increases" but it's your ability to say no that really makes this not actionable. Does it matter whether the memo went out the day before or a week before? You were not committed to paying the extra $3,000 and could tell the seller either he eats the 3K or no deal. Yes, I know it's irksome, but I'm not really sure there is a remedy here. I wonder whether the salesperson's statement that another buyer didn't get a refund on their deposit is true, but that still doesn't affect your ability to not accept the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back