Contractor over charging.

RyanMMichigan

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I had a contractor come out 3 years ago to remove water from my basement. I got a $900 bill for using the pump for about 8 hours. After getting the bill in the mail I posted on facebook what this usually costs. In the comments someone asked what company I used and I told them.

The owner called me and threatened to charge me more money if I didn't take the post down. I got a second bill in the mail for $5500 now because he was mad at me. This was a insurance job and even told them it was $900. I still haven't paid because he did this. Now the bill is currently over $10,000. He is threatening to get collections involved or put a lien on the house.

I spent $900 on a lawyer 2 years ago. He tried numerous times to call and write letters and got no response. What do I do now?

I'm not sure why you didn't pay what you thought you owed. Chances are things may have been over had not tried to retaliate by not paying what you knew you owed.

Threaten is one thing. Actually doing it is another although he has a pretty good chance at getting a mechanics lien because he DID do work for you and you didn't pay him ANYTHING. Being in "collections" doesn't much mean anything. Home contractors don't report to credit bureaus.

Did this $900 lawyer tell you to stiff the contractor?

After getting the bill in the mail I posted on facebook what this usually costs. In the comments someone asked what company I used and I told them.

Could you please elaborate? According to what you posted, you posted something like the following: "I had someone pump water from my basement. This usually costs $X." Was there more to it than that?

The owner called me and threatened to charge me more money if I didn't take the post down.

First, why was the owner bothered by what you had posted? Second, was there any sort of written contract between you and the contractor (or between your homeowner's insurer and the contractor) that allowed for an additional billing?

This was a insurance job and even told them it was $900.

There seems to be a word or two missing from this sentence.

I still haven't paid because he did this.

Not even the $900?

Now the bill is currently over $10,000.

I assume this means the contractor is sending you bills with interest accruing.

What do I do now?

If you didn't pay even the $900, that was pretty foolish. It appears the applicable statute of limitations is six years. If you get sued, you'll likely be on the hook for interest and maybe even the plaintiff's attorneys' fees.

Either you wait this out or you try to resolve it. You could, I suppose, tender a check for what you think is owed and see what happens, but I suspect this is going to cost you a fair amount more than if you had simply paid the bill three years ago.

Back