Contractor or employee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentalism

I work for myself as pay contract person for hire. I have my own contract that me lawyer made for me but the company I am having a dispute with made me sign their contracts.they micro manage every part of my job and it has made it impossible to work with them.I noticed that the contract says that I am NOT an employee but since they are controlling everything that I do and I mean everything, can I make a claim that I am to be considered an employee of the company? That may solve some problems I think.

If you are a contractor, you serve at their pleasure.

You do as they instruct, or they can easily release you.

They didn't force you to sign, you chose to sign.

Live by the contract you signed, or quit.

In no way can what you're doing be construed as an employee.

You can claim anything you want. So can the people who are paying you. Does not necessarily make it true. Worker classification is a function of statutory law, so at the end of the day, the only party whose opinion counts is the government. Listed below are the federal DOL rules. IRS has their own rules as does your state.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs13.pdf

Lets say that you think you are really an employee. That is still just your opinion. Until/unless the government agrees with you, nothing changes. You can take certain actions which would eventually force the government to review your status. Say file a form SS-8 with IRS, or a UI claim with your state. But these are not fast actions with certain responses.

Thank you everybody. What made me crazy is my employers want to blame stuff on me that is their fault. They made bad decisions and micro managed everything.now it has been a game of what I can prove these idiots really did.

Keep in mind, OP, "those idiots" are YOUR "customers".

They are the reason you get paid.

Give them what they want, just let them keep hiring you for your special talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back