Contract with the broker for freelance work

dave777888

Hi,
I am freelancer who is making research reports for multiple forex brokers (only oral agreements, no contarcts signed with them). I found a new broker recently who wishes to work with me but he insists that I sign a contract that I WILL NOT WORK WITH THE OTHER BROKERS....The broker is Cyprus based. I wonder if there can be legal problems if I violate this part of the contract (other brokers do not show my name under reports but still if they found out)? Does the broker need to specify these legal consequences in the contract?
Thanks!
Dave

I see that you state in another forum that you are in the EU. Lying doesn't help.

Ok...

I wonder if there can be legal problems if I violate this part of the contract (other brokers do not show my name under reports but still if they found out)?

Of course there could be legal problems. For starters, entering into a contract with the intent not to perform can be characterized as fraud. Additionally, you could find yourself being sued for damages resulting from a breach and/or injunctive relief. Of course, that assumes that the other party is willing to sue you in New York and that New York law will govern the issues in the case. I have no idea what might happened if you get sued in Cyprus or if the laws of Cyprus govern the issues. At the very least, it could cost you a s***load in attorneys' fees.

Does the broker need to specify these legal consequences in the contract?

I'm not aware of any law in New York or any other U.S. state that would require that. I have no idea about Cyprus law.

P.S. For the reference of anyone who cares, here's a link to a thread at another site where you posted the same thing.

I've never seen such a post, so unless you want to provide a link, that's not meaningful to me.
I can't send direct messages here and I'm not going to post a link to another forum here. When advised that the other forum only deals with US law, the OP replied with "thank you - any EU legal forum you can recommend?"

EDIT: @cbg will confirm.

New York DEEP in the heart of the Ukraine.....

IP: 31.128.81.234
Decimal: 528503274
Hostname: 31.128.81.234
ASN: 3326
ISP: Private Joint Stock Company datagroup
Organization: Private Joint Stock Company datagroup
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Likely Static IP

Continent: Europe
State/Region: Kyiv City
City: Kyiv
Latitude: 50.4547 (50° 27′ 16.92″ N)
Longitude: 30.5238 (30° 31′ 25.68″ E)
Postal Code: 02099

I know about VPN servers. I didn't say the poster was in the Ukraine (although he may be). I said his IP address shows that he is. And it does.

In your posting on another forum you state that you are in the EU.

That statement does not contradict the statement made here that the OP is based in New York.
The OP has had plenty of opportunity to clear this up, but has apparently chosen not to. I will take that to mean that the OP is NOT in New York.

You can take it however you want.

Back