Consumer Law, Warranties contract with nursing home

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysharona1947

in september of 2005 my mother was admitted to miller memorial community inc. in meriden connecticut. it was a short stay admission being paid by medicare.

the admissions director said i should sign all the papers for my mother because she had dementia. when i read the first paper i saw that it said the words "responsible party". i said, "what does responsible party mean, because i want to be honest and up front with you, i don't have any money to pay for anything."

i was assured by nancy, the admissions director that it did not mean i had to pay for anything. you're her daughter, who else would sign for her.

i did not have power of attorney, or conservatorship of my mother, i was simply signing as her daughter or interested family member.

my nasty, selfish, self-serving, niece and nephew(my mother's grandchildren) upon my mother's discharge, had picked out a retirement home for her in cheshire, ct, which she would have lived in. it was not at all appropriate, my mother needed skilled care. so, i voiced concerns. because i voiced these concerns, my mother was at miller memorial 17 days past what medicare would cover.

miller memorial community inc. sued me for $5,000 in small claims court. i represented myself, and pointed out some laws in ct. that i had found on-line. also, on the st of ct web-site, concerning signing contracts in a nursing home, it said you DID NOT have to sign and really shouldn't.

well, needless to say the judge in small claims court was unmoved by what i had to say, and the nursing home won a judgement against me, which i have no money to pay. i do not feel i owe this money at all.

are there any lawyers out there or anyone who can help me?? maybe someone knows of a connecticut law about signing a contract on an admissions application in a nursing home. i really don't know why i had to sign anything at all, since my mother was considered a short term stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back