Contract Offered On Last Friday -- Possible Problem Removing My Possessions From Property

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
According to my agent I was under the distinct impression that I would have no problem removing my books and clothing, and assorted other items from the property after the Act of Sale. I used to live there, and I kept half of my stuff there for lack of space elsewhere. I told him that I was too low on funds to afford paying before the Act of Sale, and I'd have to wait until after that to be able to pay someone to do it and put my stuff in a storage facility until I move again to a larger place. He said that many sellers do that all the time, and there shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I asked him several times during the past few months that my property has been for sale. I also read on various websites that sellers are often allowed several weeks or even months to do that after the Act of Sale. OI remember my parents did that same thing. I thought perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.

Once I agreed that I would accept a particular individual's offer I told the agent I needed it in writing that I would be allowed to remove my stuff since I don't want any problem when I go over there. He promised he'd take care of it. Then he comes by with the contract to sign. He doesn't have the permission paper. He says that he would get a company that helps move items in such situations and they will accept getting paid after the Act of Sale, that sometimes that kind of situation comes up. I asked if that was the case why didn't he tell me before? However, he didn't really answered my question. He just said that if the sale doesn't go through and I can't pay them, they would just put a lean on property so they could get paid when it does sell. Later, I'm thinking this somehow isn't satisfactory. I'm thinking perhaps he never spoke to the potential buyer about my needing to remove my stuff at all, or he got some negative response and was afraid to tell me for fear the sale would be lost. It's the best offer I've had and my husband tells me don't screw this up. However, I keep running into problems with things buyers are saying as well as the agent. I don't think I can trust any of it completely. My instincts tell me I should be careful when I hear something that sounds like nonsense or false promises.

By all means I need my possessions. I have thousands of dollars in clothing, about 10,000 books, some other odds and ends, plus several items if furniture. I have noticed he kept saying every time I reminded him that I would need my things that he would say that since there was some leakage into the apartment that probably everything was destroyed. I told him every time that he didn't know that for sure and that I'd been in there many, many times and the only thing damaged were some books in one area. Besides that I told him much of it was very well protected from any leakage, and that I have a right to my possessions. I'm thinking just who's side is he on?

He also mentioned that since I'd be going in the apartment that if I got injured I'd have to be responsible for getting injured. I told him I'm fully aware of that. I had already told him that, but I still need to get my things. If other sellers are allowed to get their things after the act of sale, then why shouldn't I be able? I've been in there hundreds of times and nothing happened and I've told him this repeatedly. What can I do with this situation? I even told him I have my family photos in some very large scrapbooks and need to get them out. I got no response out of that!

It seems like you started this thread right in the middle of your thoughts. It makes no sense with no context. Please stick to your original thread.

You apparently did not heed my warning in your earlier thread:

"First thing you have to understand is that real estate agents are whores for the commission and will do anything and everything to get it sold and walk away with the commission. Not always in the best interests of the seller."

That's exactly what your agent did. Said this and that, you closed, agent got the commission and won't give you the time of day anymore.

All you can do now is go to the buyer (hurry up) and ask to be able to remove your stuff if any of it is still there.

Back