Contract Fraud- Can I get removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mislead

During mid-August, my brother and his wife called me and asked me if I would co-sign on a auto loan. They already had the truck for a couple of weeks when the salesman from the dealer called to tell them that they couldn't get financed. They were asked to get a co-signer. The truck was $40,000 and they said that they had just financed a car for their daughter, so they had too much credit. I informed them that I was in the process of finding a home to purchase so I could co-sign for a short term. The salesman called me to get some information about me to see if my credit was good enough. He sent me papers overnight with some areas left blank. He highlighted in pink places I should sign and in yellow places they should sign. Most of the places I signed specified co-buyer one place I signed was on the right of their signature area and was titled Agreement. I never received a copy of the contract which would be sent to finance companies. A few weeks later, I received a copy of a contract from CitiFinancial and a welcome package. I assumed that this came to me to sign since I was the cosigner and responsible for the vehicle if the primary does not pay. I aslo began to get payment coupons. Then something strange happend, the bill was one day late and Citifinancial called me for the payment. I asked them had they already called the primary. They told me that I am the primary. I informed them that I never signed an agreement to be a primary, just a co-signer. I can't possibly afford this vehicle and if it is my vehicle, why would I need them to cosign for me when my credit is good. They looked at their files and told me all of the other paperwork shows me as a cosigner except the application. I attempted to call the dealer to speak with the Finance manager. She gave me a story that she wasted coffee on her desk after I told her who I was and said she'd call me back. She never called and won't return my calls. I called CitiFinancial back and was told that there is nothing they can do. The finance manager at the dealer must straighten this out. I applied for a home loan and was denied because my debt to income ratio is too high with that $40,000 vehicle. I was also told that if I was submitted to the credit agencies as a cosigner, the lender would not look at this as my debt. I am attempting to get copies of the final contracts to compare them. I believe they fraudulently submitted me as the applicant to secure the sale. Am I stuck in this contract or can I get my name removed? The dealer is in Georgia and I've read that they are under investigation and have previously been penalized for deceptive advertizing. What can I do? I live in Massachusetts. I've never even seen the vehicle.

I had a similar problem. We thought we were co-buyers and ended up being the primary. My brother-in-law made the $2000 down payment on the vehicle and just found out it was with insufficient funds. Is this theft by check on his part? Does it have any bearing on the contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back