Contest: Dumbest Legal Notices - Cars

Which commercial contains the most absurd warning?

• The Jeep Commander Submarine

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • The Suzuki Grand Vitara Skydiver

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Toyota's Tacoma "Metor Proof" Trucks

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal Information

Sometimes you have to shake your head and laugh at the fact that with likely thanks to an attorney somewhere, you have been prompted with a legal notice not to do something that could be considered "colossally stupid." This month we found three car commercials aired during football games that seemed to stand out from the crowd. We thought you'd enjoy participating in our contest to choose which is the most absurd legal notice. Feel free to submit your own suggestions for consideration in upcoming contests by sending us a reply to our TheLaw.com Support Center and attach a file if necessary.

This month's contestants include the following:

1. Jeep Commander by Daimler Chrysler - "It's an all new world, take command!"

The ad begins with an underwater view, looking at sharks and sea creatures from below them. Some children are discussing which shark they like better. Then you realize that you are looking through a sun roof of a car. The scene then switches to the one below, with the Jeep emerging from the ocean and a disclaimer "Fictionalization. Vehicle not suitable for underwater use." Then you see a picture of the children in the vehicle and realize that this was a routine carpool. It's the all new 7 passenger Commander with available command view skylights... it's an all new world, take command.

Let the buyer beware before purchase -- this jeep is not suitable to be used as a submarine and have no legal recourse in case you use it in such a manner to take your kids to school.

jeepcommander.jpg

2. Suzuki Grand Vitara -- When you want more out of life, Suzuki is giving you the green light.
It's a beautiful morning and a wife kisses and then tells her husband "see you tonight" as he leaves from their cute suburban house in... wait. While he is in a snappy sporty suit, he begins to put on his biking helmet. But as he straps it on and walks away from his home, we realize it's a house on top of a mountain and he leaps right off the edge of their property and into a precipitous freefall of several thousand feet. As he rapidly descends (you can see his black figure in the middle) we are warned "Stunt professional. Do not attempt." His parachute opens, he lands, dusts himself off and he enters his SUV waiting on the side of the road. He does a little innocuous driving in the countryside for which we are again warned "Professional Driver. Closed Course. Tread Lightly! on public and private land." He continues driving on the dirt road... When you want more out of life, Suzuki is giving you the green light. Then you get the details -- a huge price tag of $199 and on the bottom of the screen four lines of text that even on my HDTV I couldn't come close to deciphering the words or reading them within the 3.2684 seconds I had to get beyond that well illuminated $199 figure.

Disclaimer: It is not a good idea to jump off cliffs without proper training even if this means saving a boatload on parking lot fees. In addition, tread lightly when driving on dirt roads but do carry a big stick. And read the fine print.

suzukivitaraa.jpg

suzukivitarab.jpg

3. Tacoma/Metor Proof Trucks by Toyota
You appear to be watching a a truck drive through a desert through the lens of a video camera. Then you see one man enter the corner screen and point out to the man behind the camera a meteor streaking through the sky towards them at furious pace. It is a dead on hit to the truck! The resulting fiery blast is so powerful that it knocks the cameran and the camera over and dust billows from everywhere. They both get up, coughing, and aright the video camera back into position. Amidst the falling debris and clouds of white smoke the truck emerges with the drivers yippin' and yahooin' and asking aloud "did you see that?" The onlookers say in shocked disbelief "no way!" To which we are told "Dramatization. Access Cab shown with available TRD Off-Road Package." We are then followed by the sign letting us know that this was the "Tacoma - Meteor Proof" , trucks built by Toyota.

Thanks guys for letting us know that this meteor strike was only a dramatization. I wouldn't have known. But even better, thanks for warning me that the fleeting moment I saw the truck it was actually equipped with the off-road package... nuts... I was completely confused at first but thanks for clearing it up.

TacomaToyota.jpg

So which commercial did you think contained the most ludicrous warning, perhaps thanks to our friends in the legal department? Vote now and share your thoughts!

Greetings!

Well, sadly not being in the US I doubt I'll see these adverts first-hand but after reading your descriptions, I considered the beginning option of the 4x4 underwater-sub* the most bizarre!!

Regards,

JJ. :)

*PLEASE NOTE: not a genuine/real option with the vehicle...

That's really funny. I liked the crazy explosion commercial. That one made me really laugh. Maybe they could also let me know that it comes equipped with the optional DVD player!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back