Content posted on a forum lifted by a media website that generates ad revenue

Dexter K

Hello. First time posting. I made a thread on a message board which was blatantly taken and barely re-worded by a pretty major media gossip website.

I posted content about an ongoing local news story regarding a rap music/gang feud detailing some things including various links to news stories and youtube videos. Basically I summarized a lot of amateur investigative reporting I did on the issue.

The gossip website posted almost an exact copy of the thread I made in the form of an article and barely changed anything about it. They had the same links in the same order I did with almost the same descriptions.

They get millions of hits daily and are generating ad revenue off the content I put together.

Do I have any case for any legal compensation here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello. First time posting. I made a thread on a message board which was blatantly taken and barely re-worded by a pretty major media gossip website.

I posted content about an ongoing local news story regarding a rap music/gang feud detailing some things including various links to news stories and youtube videos. Basically I summarized a lot of amateur investigative reporting I did on the issue.

The gossip website posted almost an exact copy of the thread I made in the form of an article and barely changed anything about it. They had the same links in the same order I did with almost the same descriptions.

They get millions of hits daily and are generating ad revenue off the content I put together.

Do I have any case for any legal compensation here? Any help would be much appreciated.
What state?

Do I have any case for any legal compensation here?

Hard to tell. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that your material has copyright protection. However, you apparently posted it without any intent for financial gain so I think you may have a problem proving monetary damages.

If your theory is that you should share in their revenue as punishment for their plagiarism, I'll have to defer to one of the attorneys that participate here.

Wouldn't hurt to consult an intellectual property attorney.

Back