Contempt of Congress

Miki SJ

In response to yesterday's vote in the House to hold AG Barr in contempt, I started to do some reading about the history of Contempt of the Congress. I was led to an 1821 case, Anderson V. Dunn. A term in the decision came up and I tried a search without help. For context the term "&c" came up several times but here is the first occurrence:

"... the Sergeant at Arms to take the plaintiff into custody, &c., and delivered the said warrant to the defendant ..."

Can someone help with the term? I suspect it may be an arcane term, no longer used.

BTW, I am not an attorney.

"... the Sergeant at Arms to take the plaintiff into custody, &c., and delivered the said warrant to the defendant ..."

LOL, contempt of congress means little these days, as the American voter has been holding congress in contempt for the last 60-75 years.

The last time Congress arrested and detained a person was in 1935.

If Congress desired to arrest a person today, the matter is referred the United States Department of Justice.

I don't think anyone serving as an assistant US Attorney would even think about prosecuting an official of the sitting president's administration, lest he or she would find themselves summarily dismissed.

Contempt of congress is nothing but more political theater to entertain the uneducated masses.

Can someone help with the term? I suspect it may be an arcane term, no longer used.

It's an abbreviation of et cetera. The modern abbreviation is etc.

By the way, with regard to the use of words, it's archaic (having the characteristics of the language of the past) not arcane (mysterious and obscure knowledge known only to a few people).

;)

Thank you for the clarification of &c.

As for arcane - most legalese is "mysterious and obscure knowledge known only to a few people":)

Back