Contacting Respondent (Restraining Order)

FuriBaco13

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
There is a restraining order on a friend of mine. I had been looking up on ways to remove it, when I came across a website stating that the person who put the restraining order on could contact the person under the restraining order. But the respondent can't contact the person who put the restraining order in effect. I was wondering if that is true. Would I be able to contact my friend, in that manner? Is what I read true, that I could contact the respondent of this restraining order?

Catharsis limited contact restraining orders, and no contact orders.
Yes, in some cases the parties are allowed to communicate.
All anyone as to do is read the order.
The order explains what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

It's not hard to stay away from another person.

In fact, it's best to obey the order.

Don't look for ways to cheat.

Even if the order allows limited contact, it's best to avoid all contact.
A neutral third party, if required and allowed, is the best way to communicate.

All you might want to know about the three types of restraining orders in CT:

Restraining Orders :: Stamford Restraining Order Attorney The Law Offices of Mark Sherman

WomensLaw.org | Connecticut: Restraining Orders

All I know is that my friend, the respondent, can't contact me. But I didn't see anywhere where I couldn't contact him. I believe I have a copy of what the real applicant, my mother, sent in. In it, she said that my friend was trying to get me to drink rubbing achohol, stop taking my meds, and other things that weren't true.

See posting history:

Removing a Restraining Order

You wrote that your mother is your conservator and wants to keep you and your friend away from each other.

The application for the restraining order doesn't count. What counts is what YOUR restraining order says, not what happens with anybody else's restraining order.

How old are you and why is your mother your conservator?

I never put in an application for a restraining order, and I never would. Unless I felt I was in serious danger from someone. In reality, my friend is in no way any danger to me.

I'm 32, and my mother is my conservator because she believes I can't make good/rational decisions.

Well, there's probably a lot more to it than that. Did your mother go to court and get appointed as your conservator? Do you live with her? Are you employed? Do you make enough of a living to support yourself on your own? Or are you relying on your mother for financial support and lodging?

You seem pretty lucid and have decent writing skills. It's hard to imagine somebody age 32 needing a conservator but you haven't provided much by way of detail

But if you believe that you CAN make good/rational decisions you are free to petition the court to terminate the conservatorship and let you make your own decisions.

In Connecticut "a conservatorship may be terminated when the respondent makes a request in writing for the Court to terminate the conservatorship. Following that request, the Court must begin a hearing within thirty days but then it may be continued for good cause. The conserved person need not provide medical evidence and need only show that the conservatorship is no longer necessary by a preponderance of the evidence (less evidence than "clear and convincing"). If the hearing is not held or begun and continued for good cause within thirty days, the conservatorship "shall terminate.""

See the following webpage for more information about conservatorships.

Conservatorship | Connecticut (CT) Legal Rights Project

Here's the statute about termination of conservatorships:

Connecticut General Statutes 45a-660 - Termination of conservatorship. Review of conservatorship by court - LawServer

You might want to contact that Legal Rights Project (if it's still around) and see if they can help you if you can't handle the legal requirements on your own and can't afford a lawyer.

If you are successful in terminating the conservatorship you can then petition the court to terminate the restraining order.

She did go to court to be signed as my conservator, I believe when I was 20. She did it in 2003. I don't live with her. I am employed. I don't make enough to live on my own yet. I do rely on my mother for financial support. But I want to learn finances to be able to live on my own. I just haven't been taught how to do them. If I do terminate the conservatorship, my conservators said they would go for involuntary conservatorship. So how would I get around that part? I do feel I need help with finances and such, but I'm not sure what I need.

On what grounds did your mother get conservatorship when you were 20? You were legally an adult at 18. I know that's a personal question and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to. The grounds back then might or might not have a bearing on your current status.

"Learning" finances is the easy part. It's mostly common sense and instinct. The hard part is making enough money to be able to support yourself without your mother's financial contribution.

Putting it simply, as long as you need any of her money she has leverage over you and you risk losing that support if you push for termination of the conservatorship.

As for involuntary conservatorship I don't see that happening if you are somehow successful in convincing a judge to terminate the existing conservatorship. You would have a hearing on the termination and your mother would have the opportunity of objecting to the termination. Then, if you were successful, it's not likely that a judge would reinstate later on.

I believe that she got conservatorship because I couldn't make good decisions with many things.

The money that is used is my own, with help from the state. My mother just pays the bills I believe.

I believe that she got conservatorship because I couldn't make good decisions with many things.

The money that is used is my own, with help from the state. My mother just pays the bills I believe.

I'm sure you don't like being a 32 year old adult and having your mother and cousin with legal control over you via conservatorship.

You can work to change the optics, mate.

You start by working in improving yourself.
You discuss with mom that you want to work with psychiatrist, psychologist, physicians, and other medical practitioners to fix whatever it takes so you can gain your independence.
I wouldn't like to be in your fix, mate.
But, you have a person who's willing to protect you at a time in your life when you're vulnerable.
I'm sure your mother wants you to get well and become a responsible, productive, independent reason.

Good luck, mate, and start working to regain control of your life.

I know what I have to face right now, but I believe I can do it. With the right tools, I know that I can be independent, and be friends with my friend again. When I had last talked to him, he did say he did want a friendship with me. First I have to deal with my conservators, then I can deal with the restraining order.

Most 20 year olds suck at making good decisions. Their parents are not their conservators. It takes a lot to get something like that approved. Where do you live if not with Mom?

Hartford, CT.

I believe Elle meant if you don't live with your Mother - do you live with someone else or do you live alone such as in an apartment with monetary help from your Mother or just where? (just exactly where do you live - not city & state)

I live in a group home, that is partially paid for by the state, and the rest comes out of my account.

I suggest you see if the court can appoint an independent conservator, that is someone selected by the court to be your guardian, other than a relative. If your home has a counselor, see if the counselor or social worker might be able to direct you.

You are able to use the computer, so see if you can research some attorneys in your county. Many attorneys will visit you to discuss your concerns, or give them a call see if there are other options that protect you and satisfy the court.

Good luck.

Back