Connecticut gun laws pertaining to bolt-action rifles.

ewintjen

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Recently I have been considering purchasing a bolt action rifle in Connecticut. As I did some research I found conflicting information, some sources saying that no permit is required to purchase a bold action rifle, others saying I do. Could anybody please tell me definitively what is required to purchase a bolt action rifle and ammunition in the state of Connecticut?

Recently I have been considering purchasing a bolt action rifle in Connecticut. As I did some research I found conflicting information, some sources saying that no permit is required to purchase a bold action rifle, others saying I do. Could anybody please tell me definitively what is required to purchase a bolt action rifle and ammunition in the state of Connecticut?

I suggest you ask your county sheriff, local police, or state police to be 100% certain.
Trust me, all would be happy to assist you regarding your state's gun laws.

The State Police published this brochure:
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/faqs_06192013.pdf
You can contact the administrative line for your county sheriff, city police, or state police barracks, or state police HQ.
despp: Firearms
Effective April 1, 2014, per CGS Sec. 29-37a(c), no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 29-37p, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection 9 (b) of section 29-28, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (2) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f.

No such sale, delivery or other transfer of any long gun shall be made until the person, firm or coorporation making such sale, delivery or transfer has insured that such application has been completed properly and has obtained an authorization number from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection for such sale, delivery or transfer. This sale authorization number can be obtained by calling (860) 685-8400 or by calling Toll Free (888) 335-8438. In additon to the above, the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

Chapter 529 - Division of State Police

Back