Conduct while off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus

Can I be written up for my conduct at my job (dept. store) when I am off the clock on my lunch break? Let me explain:

I had clocked out for lunch and was to meet my husband at customer service where he was talking to an assistant mgr. in reguards to a refund. I was aware of the conversation. As I approached them I said to my husband in a loud voice we can bring the shit back and shop somewhere else, he said no we were not bringing anything back and that he would handle it. The store asst. mgr. ask me if I was at lunch? I told her that I was on my lunch break. She said when you return to work I want to see you in my office. After lunch and after I had returned to work she called me into her office and said that she was writting me up for my conduct. I told her I was on my time, off the clock, and I was talking to my husband. She said she was writting me up because I used profanity and other employees were watching and herd what I had said and it made the asst. mgrs. look bad. I apoligized for the profanity. I don't see how they can write me up because 1. I was on my own time off the clock. 2. I was talking to my husband when I used the profanity, The asst. mgrs. were standing there also talking to my husband. 3. I never threatened any one or put my hands on anyone. I simply made a statement to my husband in front of the asst. mgrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter whether you were on your own time or not; you can still be written up for it. The reason that you can is that no law says you can't.

It is never a good thing, smart thing, or polite thing to curse in the presence of strangers or in the general public.

To curse at your workplace, that's just stupid.

It was also rude to treat your husband as if he was an imbecile.

It doesn't matter if you were technically off the clock. You were still on your employer's property, dressed as an employee and acting totally inappropriately by loudly using profanity. I'd have written you up as well. What you did can at best be described as extremely unprofessional.

Agree with the other responders - nothing illegal about the write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back