Concerns at work (covid related)

Now like I said I am resigning but I'm lost in words on how should a wrote an effective immediately resignation letter when it comes to the reason . I have never had the need to write one till now.
Dear Boss,

Due to concerns for my own health, I am resigning my position, effective immediately.

Sincerely,
Miller M2

Thanks for the replies, I will most definitely give my resignation tomorrow. And look for another job. And when it comes getting paid while at home like "adjusterjack" said, no sir I am just doing the best for me. I will definitely be contacting EDD in regards of this matter if I qualify for any unemployment fine if not it is fine as well, I will start looking for another job.

Thanks once more for the replies..
Just my 2 cents, but you might want to find a new job before you resign.

Any pointers?

Your post doesn't raise any legal issue. However, if the person in question hasn't been in the office in over two months, I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Go get tested if you want.

Why should I get tested if I don't have/show any symptoms?

What an absurd question, but I could turn it around and ask you why you're concerned given that you show no symptoms and the person who tested positive hasn't been in the office in 10 weeks?

Just my 2 cents, but you might want to find a new job before you resign.

I'm not sure this OP is going to be down with this sort of unassailable logic. :)

I'm not sure this OP is going to be down with this sort of unassailable logic. :)[/QUOTE]

Trust me that's the first thing I asked myself, but my health is important and the protocols are not been followed by this company. Why should I continue to work in an environment like such?

Money is always good but my health comes first.

One thing I'd like to point out is that even management gets this wrong sometimes. What your manager told you may not have been accurate. Having dealt with this from the HR side, it's entirely possible that, although you had "contact" with the individual, it did not meet the definition of "close contact" that would require specific actions such as your isolation.

For example, if you happen to walk past the individual who had been diagnosed several times a day, that doesn't mean you had "close contact". Or, if you had a 5-minute conversation with the individual, that doesn't meet the definition of "close contact".

Your company may, in fact, be following the requirements to the letter.

Dear Boss,

Due to concerns for my own health, I am resigning my position, effective immediately.

Sincerely,
Miller M2

Thanks Zinger. Can the following be another way of a reason of resignation?

• Reason: Due to protocols been breached in regards of the "Notice Of Potential Workplace Exposure to COVID-19" dated January 12, 2021 Which arise concerns for my own health.

Edit: sorry I just saw your reply when I was replying myself. But in the other hand is hard to identify how the virus was contracted. In the same note it says that According to the centers for Disease Control and prevention, the virus is thought to spread mainly between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced by an infected person. This is a retail store (sporting goods store) meaning the person could of touch his nose, mouth, etc and grab anything around the store and I was exposed to it. We all do the same duties in the store. The same computers we use, we work very close to each other each day (not even 6 feet apart)

Last edited:

• Reason: Due to protocols been breached in regards of the "Notice Of Potential Workplace Exposure to COVID-19" dated January 12, 2021 Which arise concerns for my own health.
The point I tried to make in my previous post is that you may believe, but don't actually know that protocols are being breached. Your belief may be erroneous.

EDIT: It would be wise to avoid making such accusations publicly. If you believe protocols aren't being followed, you can make an anonymous report to your county's health department.

It's been nearly two months since the notice was posted. Quitting now because of concerns raised in the notice is not timely. You are quitting because you are concerned for your own health. That's a valid concern, but you really don't need a reason to quit in the first place. You are not an indentured servant. Honestly, your resignation notice could simply be walking in and saying "I am quitting" and then walking out. Of course, you will want to make sure that you give them your current address so that they can properly pay you. They may also request that you fill out some paperwork as part of the termination process.

You don't have to give a reason to your employer for quitting. If you are concerned about unemployment insurance, then that would be the time to state that you don't believe protocols are being followed.

Lastly - a reminder: You can always make an anonymous complaint to your county's health department.

Trust me that's the first thing I asked myself, but my health is important and the protocols are not been followed by this company. Why should I continue to work in an environment like such?

Money is always good but my health comes first.

No real point in debating a non-legal issue, but I still don't get what the issue was. The person in question hasn't been in your place of employment for ten weeks. Whether you were or weren't in contact with this person, you'd likely know by now if you had contracted COVID from him/her, and you can put any doubts to rest by getting tested.

Unless you have enough savings to live without income for however long it will take you to find a new job, quitting before finding a new job would be foolish. I'm also not sure why you feel the need to write a resignation letter, but if you want to write one, then say whatever you want to say.

In the end protocols are just that.....I'm not seeing any damages other than possibly the fact that you now feel more unsafe. In a retail enviroment for the last year (however long your store was open after March 2020), haven't you possibly been unsafe everyday, not just from employee exposure but from exposure from customers touching products that you then touch?

Honestly I'm surprised you've lasted this long if you are this concerned about your personal health. And when it took many weeks for you to read the notice that was posted in January.

That said we only notified directly those that met the strict "within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes" and it's a lot less people than you think.

What legal duties does your employer owe you, one of their employees during the "Covid Crisis"?

Some lawyers and your DOL officials speak:

COVID-19 and the American Workplace | U.S. Department of Labor

Employer's duty of care during the coronavirus crisis

Coronavirus Questions and Answers: What Do Employees Need to Know

Please note that California (as well as it's various lower-level governmental units) have additional rules & regulations beyond those listed in your links. They are more encompassing.

Back