Concerns at work (covid related)

Miller M

Jurisdiction
California
Good afternoon, yesterday at work I heard two co-workers talking about the symptoms of covid and they were talking about the lost of taste during the experience with Covid-19. One of the co-workers said to have the symptoms back in the last week of December 2020. He took a test and became positive, now I just learned this yesterday (3/8/21). HR released the following letter (which I'll describe part of it below) and posted it on the break room board January 12, 21.

-This notice is to inform you that you may have been exposed to an individual who tested or is suspected, positive for covid-19 or is subject to an isolation order. The individual was last in the workplace on 12/30/20. We are in the process of identifying persons who might have been in close contact with the individual, and employees with "Covid-19 exposure"

It is important to note that just because you worked on the same day or in the same area as an employee who either has, or has been suspected to have, covid-19; you may not be at any greater risk for COVID-19 transmission than you would be outside of the workplace, such as the grocery store or getting gas. We have put preventive measures into place in all locations to help reduce the risk of employee-to-employee transmission.

Once we have receipt of information that an employee may potentially have Covid-19, we initiate an investigation, which does involve identifying close contacts. Human Resources will immediately remove any close contacts from the workplace and provide them with instructions specific to their situation. If you have any questions regarding a Covid-19 case in your workplace or have any general covid-19 questions, please reach out HR. Although We can not share any confidential health information regarding other employees.

An hour ago or so I have talked to our store manager in regards of this concern and in fact he has confirmed that I was one of the employees on the list of close contact with the co worker that tested positive and they never removed me for isolation and they (HR) never gave me instructions in regards of the matter.

I am diabetic and this really concerns me. I believe this company is not taking the proper steps to mitigate the spread of covid-19. I been employed for 3 years and I don't know if I should resign because of all this!

I am stressed very stressed right now due to the findings. Any pointers?

Thanks!

I'm not asking this to put you on the defensive, but to get an idea of where you are on your understanding of the laws on this kind of issue. There's no reason why you should be familiar with them - that's not the point of the question. It's to get an idea where to start the baseline of an explanation what your best options are.

What do you think your employer should be doing that they aren't?

Thanks for your reply, well I believe I should be isolated according to the notice dated 1/12/21. I believe they did not took the proper steps and mostly never communicated with me to follow the instructions, I can not trust the company at all when it comes to my health been diabetic and of course to mitigate the spread of covid-19. I don't feel safe in this work environment and the decisions they make to mitigate the spread of Covid-19. Therefore I believe I am safer not working in this environment. But maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for your reply, well I believe I should be isolated according to the notice dated 1/12/21. I believe they did not took the proper steps and mostly never communicated with me to follow the instructions, I can not trust the company at all when it comes to my health been diabetic and of course to mitigate the spread of covid-19. I don't feel safe in this work environment and the decisions they make to mitigate the spread of Covid-19. Therefore I believe I am safer not working in this environment. But maybe I am wrong.
You should start looking for another job.

I am diabetic and this really concerns me. I believe this company is not taking the proper steps to mitigate the spread of covid-19. I been employed for 3 years and I don't know if I should resign because of all this!

I am an attorney, as well as an osteopathic physician.

I am NOT an expert on Covid.

I do, however, understand the science involved in disease transmission.

If I were facing your dilemma, I'd do my best to remain calm.

Now, here's the good news.

The person ALLEGED to have tested positive for the disease (doesn't mean the person has the disease or transmitted the disease to others) is said to have been in the workplace with you about 72 days ago.

You have NOT (as far as you know) contracted (as in succumbed) to Covid.

At this point, if you do become infected with Covid, it probably won't be related to something that might have occurred over 10 weeks ago.

However, if you want to know for sure, you could speak with some authority figure in your workplace about Covid testing.

You could also contact your primary care physician or endocrinologist and ask her/him to arrange a Covid test for you.

I understand your concern over this matter, but until you know more, think positive thoughts, discourage negative thoughts.

If you've been well over these past 10 weeks, I suspect you've escaped unharmed from any contact with the unfortunate, fellow employee.

I am an attorney, as well as an osteopathic physician.

I am NOT an expert on Covid.

I do, however, understand the science involved in disease transmission.

If I were facing your dilemma, I'd do my best to remain calm.

Now, here's the good news.

The person ALLEGED to have tested positive for the disease (doesn't mean the person has the disease or transmitted the disease to others) is said to have been in the workplace with you about 72 days ago.

You have NOT (as far as you know) contracted (as in succumbed) to Covid.

At this point, if you do become infected with Covid, it probably won't be related to something that might have occurred over 10 weeks ago.

However, if you want to know for sure, you could speak with some authority figure in your workplace about Covid testing.

You could also contact your primary care physician or endocrinologist and ask her/him to arrange a Covid test for you.

I understand your concern over this matter, but until you know more, think positive thoughts, discourage negative thoughts.

If you've been well over these past 10 weeks, I suspect you've escaped unharmed from any contact with the unfortunate, fellow employee.

Thanks for your reply, mostly my concerns now is the environment I am working that is not safe for my health, and the steps they have taken with out giving me instructions when a co-worker tested positive and me been one of the close contacts. What if this happens again? How can I trust them at all? I really believe they are not and in my own opinion they will not take the steps according to the notice dated on 1/12/21.

Thanks for your reply, mostly my concerns now is the environment I am working that is not safe for my health, and the steps they have taken with out giving me instructions when a co-worker tested positive and me been one of the close contacts. What if this happens again? How can I trust them at all? I really believe they are not and in my own opinion they will not take the steps according to the notice dated on 1/12/21.
That is why you should look for another job. If you don't trust your employer find another job...preferably in a job that doesn't place you around others.

What if this happens again? How can I trust them at all?

We face risks everyday of our lives.

Know this, the ONLY one that can protect YOU, is YOU!

We have government agencies, legislative bodies, law enforcement agencies, even military forces that attempt to protect the citizenry.

Yet, none of them are there when the armed attacker assaults you, the pervert confronts you, the carjacker demands that you get out of your automobile, or any of hundreds of other perils arrive attempting to do harm to your person and/or your belongings.

How we choose to address these risks determines if we keep our sanity and enjoy our time on this beautiful planet.

Only you know best for you.

You alone must decide to resign, or make the best of your employment situation.

I hope you choose wisely as you endeavor to build the best life you can.

Thanks for the replies, I will most definitely give my resignation tomorrow. And look for another job. And when it comes getting paid while at home like "adjusterjack" said, no sir I am just doing the best for me. I will definitely be contacting EDD in regards of this matter if I qualify for any unemployment fine if not it is fine as well, I will start looking for another job.

Thanks once more for the replies..

Last edited:
Then seek employment elsewhere.

Meantime get yourself tested.

What else do you want? Do you want your employer to let you stay home while you still get paid? That's not gonna happen.

Why should I get tested if I don't have/show any symptoms?

Any suggestions on how to write a well worded Effective Immediately resignation letter when it comes to this matter?

Last edited:
One can have COVID without showing symptoms. And if this is the case you can infect others.
This is something that has been addressed for almost a year on the News.

In the future if you are/believe you are exposed go and get tested ASAP.
Keep in mind that your employer is supposed to, in the situation described above, make sure the exposed employees are able to get tested at no cost to them. That includes the time it takes from work for the testing.

Of course, at this late point, that doesn't apply, but it may for any future exposure.

Hi everyone this is me the same guy that started this topic. Due to the limitations 5 posts or replies within 24 hours as a new account on this website I needed to create another one account just to ask you guys quickly what would be a well worded Active immediately Resignation letter regarding this matter as a reason. I am going to deliver my resignation letter tomorrow in the morning.

Thanks once more for all of your guy's comments!

Hi everyone this is me the same guy that started this topic. Due to the limitations 5 posts or replies within 24 hours as a new account on this website I needed to create another one account just to ask you guys quickly what would be a well worded Active immediately Resignation letter regarding this matter as a reason. I am going to deliver my resignation letter tomorrow in the morning.

Thanks once more for all of your guy's comments!

I forgot to mention that tomorrow is my day off, but since I am resigning how should i date my letter? The last day I worked or the day I will be delivering the letter of resignation even knowing is my day off? (Wednesday).

I'm the one who initially responded to you. As I suspected, I think your expectations are a bit misplaced. Please don't think that by that I mean you are wrong to be upset or scared - I don't. But situations like this are a nightmare for employers, who have to deal with privacy laws protecting the exposed individual as well as taking care of others as well.

You don't think you should have to get tested if you're not showing any symptoms, huh? Well, was your co-worker showing symptoms? You don't know because you don't know who it is? Well, did you notice anyone with symptoms? If so, why didn't you report it at the time? If not, then maybe it means you can be infected without showing symptoms, do you think maybe? For the record, I've been tested; the entire process from start to finish took less than five minutes and was completely painless. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it be worth the peace of mind?

How many employees were potentially exposed? Should all of them have been placed in isolation? For how long? Where?

The problem with this particular disease is exactly what we're talking about - you can be infected without knowing it and before you become symptomatic. If the employer first knew about this on January 12 and the exposure was on December 30, (and why are you not reading postings from January until March, pray tell?) what might have happened in the two weeks before they even knew about it? Why is it their fault that you didn't read a notice for two months?

Was this handled well? Possibly not. But I can't really fault anyone (not you, not your employers) for not really knowing exactly the best way to handle what is an unprecedented situation right off the top.

I'm the one who initially responded to you. As I suspected, I think your expectations are a bit misplaced. Please don't think that by that I mean you are wrong to be upset or scared - I don't. But situations like this are a nightmare for employers, who have to deal with privacy laws protecting the exposed individual as well as taking care of others as well.

You don't think you should have to get tested if you're not showing any symptoms, huh? Well, was your co-worker showing symptoms? You don't know because you don't know who it is? Well, did you notice anyone with symptoms? If so, why didn't you report it at the time? If not, then maybe it means you can be infected without showing symptoms, do you think maybe? For the record, I've been tested; the entire process from start to finish took less than five minutes and was completely painless. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it be worth the peace of mind?

How many employees were potentially exposed? Should all of them have been placed in isolation? For how long? Where?

The problem with this particular disease is exactly what we're talking about - you can be infected without knowing it and before you become symptomatic. If the employer first knew about this on January 12 and the exposure was on December 30, (and why are you not reading postings from January until March, pray tell?) what might have happened in the two weeks before they even knew about it? Why is it their fault that you didn't read a notice for two months?

Was this handled well? Possibly not. But I can't really fault anyone (not you, not your employers) for not really knowing exactly the best way to handle what is an unprecedented situation right off the top.

Thanks for your reply, actually I just found out 2 days ago that I was in close contact with the co worker who tested positive. We were working together the last week of December, I didn't know about it until 2 days ago that co worker told me the days he had symptoms and I checked my schedule for December and yes I was one of the close contacts. That's why I approached my manager in regards of why I wasn't isolated when in fact the manager confirmed that I was on the list of closed contact with the coworker that tested positive.

Yes the letter was dated 1/12/21. But this new finding makes me believe and proving that the company did not follow their own protocol as stated on the notice posted.

Now like I said I am resigning but I'm lost in words on how should a wrote an effective immediately resignation letter when it comes to the reason . I have never had the need to write one till now.

Back