Consumer Fraud Computer help contractor scam

rickie

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I had some computer problems with my Windows computer so I called a help line that I found in the local yellow pages. The technician came over and brought some parts and connected them to my computer. I was told that my problem was that I needed a new monitor cable and also that I had a bunch of things wrong with my computer and some virus cleaning. They told me that the monitor cable was special and that it was $40 because it was clearer than the usual cables because of the high quality. Later when I told my friends that my computer was fixed, one of my guy geek friends told me that I was scammed. There is no such thing as a clearer monitor cable. It was an HDMI cable. He said they are mostly all the same and that this guy charged me a lot of money for what was really an easy job. When I called up the company later they said that they may not charge the actual retail price for the cables and they may mark them up in price because of the convenience of bringing it to my house. That is crazy because they charge for that too with the technician coming over and this is double dipping and misrepresenting things. I still have the receipt. Isn't this consumer fraud?

I had some computer problems with my Windows computer so I called a help line that I found in the local yellow pages. The technician came over and brought some parts and connected them to my computer. I was told that my problem was that I needed a new monitor cable and also that I had a bunch of things wrong with my computer and some virus cleaning. They told me that the monitor cable was special and that it was $40 because it was clearer than the usual cables because of the high quality. Later when I told my friends that my computer was fixed, one of my guy geek friends told me that I was scammed. There is no such thing as a clearer monitor cable. It was an HDMI cable. He said they are mostly all the same and that this guy charged me a lot of money for what was really an easy job. When I called up the company later they said that they may not charge the actual retail price for the cables and they may mark them up in price because of the convenience of bringing it to my house. That is crazy because they charge for that too with the technician coming over and this is double dipping and misrepresenting things. I still have the receipt. Isn't this consumer fraud?

No, it's isn't fraud.

Whatever it is, it isn't illegal.

Nothing illegal about making mad profit off the ignorant. Retailers have been doing it for years.

I don't believe that you were scammed but you were ripped off.
It's along the same lines as those auto repair people that take advantage of people with little to no knowledge. As long as he performed the service he stated then I don't think there is anything that can be done.

Companies are for the most part allowed to charge what they wish hence the acronym MSRP key letter being the "S". As for the "clearer" terminology, maybe it isn't the best word and should have used something a bit less misleading, something like "Higer Resolution".

I guess bottom line is:
Is your PC fixed?
Did he replace parts you were charged for?
If so then I don't think there is much you can do other than learn from this.

Back