complicated ethical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcesq

I am a sole practitioner. I also consult (non-legal work) an entertainment company with respect to the management of their entertainment clients. The entertainment company has approached me and said that in exchange for the monthly "consulting fee" they pay me for non-legal consulting work, they would like me to do legal work for their clients. I vaguely remember a rule that says that this is illegal. I want to get back to the entertainment company and let them know that this is not possible, however, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction? Do you know exactly where the law is on this point?
Thank you.

I would agree w/ the professor here, but off the top of my head there is nothing that really sounds downright illegal in all 50 states sort of thing. If the original post is from an attorney, then again, by all means, look it up yourself.

Originally posted by jpcesq
I am a sole practitioner. I also consult (non-legal work) an entertainment company with respect to the management of their entertainment clients. The entertainment company has approached me and said that in exchange for the monthly "consulting fee" they pay me for non-legal consulting work, they would like me to do legal work for their clients. I vaguely remember a rule that says that this is illegal. I want to get back to the entertainment company and let them know that this is not possible, however, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction? Do you know exactly where the law is on this point?
Thank you.

Perhaps you are confusing this with the referral fee issue? I would not want to engage in this type of work since it's difficult to say how much time it may take to deal with legal engagements. There is nothing I recall that is wrong from stating that you will perform a legal service for a flat fee but be prepared to deal with the consequences. Best answer might be to call the state bar! Would enjoy hearing what they have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back