Compensation Discrimination question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterSlate

Seeking advice on whether remedy is available for the following scenario:

I have been employed as a project manager with an organization for the past 3 years. Over the past year and a half I have concurrently performed the functions of another position (Compliance manager) without having had addressed issues of adjustment in salary based on the additional responsibility.

Along the way I had been indirectly advised that the effort I applied would eventually lead to greater exposure within the organization and the likelihood of an increase in salary.

LAst week the results of my wait were the disclosure of my new position and title, and also a notification that there would be no adjustment in salary of any kind (that I am presently appropriately compensated)

I know, factually, that individuals who have held the position in previous years were paid substantially greater salaries. (to the tune of 40% or better)

Any advice on pursuit of legal remedy would be appreciated.

Based on the information you have provided in your post, there is no legal recourse. Being "indirectly advised" that the position might lead to increased compensation is not a guarantee, nor is your employer legally obligated to pay you anything greater than minimum wage. They could pay the CEO minimum wage if they could find someone to accept the position at that rate.

What prior incumbents were being paid has no legal relevance unless the reason you are being paid less is due to your race, gender, national origin, religion, etc.

If you are unhappy with the terms of your employment, then you are free to seek a position elsewhere where you feel you will be more adequantely compensated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back