Company confidentiality BROKEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeys27

Hi,
I need some advice. I recently was employed by a well known North Texas business and finally decided to leave after several months of nothing getting done. We came across several copies of chat logs that 3 employees, including the office manager, and executive director discussing confidentiality about mine and two other co workers. the logs discuss our reviews, other issue that no one is suppose to know. These chat logs go on for 3 days discuss deep conversation about everyone in the office. We went to the president and nothing was done. It was more sweeped under the rug. We have copy of an email that one of the girls emailed us several of the girls in our office their reviews. And she is still employed there. Nothing was done to her. I sent couple of emails to the president stating my troubles in the office and he never emailed, or gave me a call to discuss the situation. He ignore the situation. I have an email from one of the board members " stating I'm so sorry that the office situation never changed" and I don't blame you for leaving! I filed for unemployment, put I'm sure they will denied it because I quit. But I left because the environment. I can't go to my own boss and discuss anything without it getting transmitted to the whole office. My question is what can i do? I have the chat logs that proves that confidentiality was broken. Is there hope for me to sue? or seek a lawyer?

What obligation or law do you feel was violated? This chat log you somehow gained access to was where and you know it was these persons how? Where it is unethical to discuss such matters its not likely illegal. However you can certainly consult an Attorney and see what he says

What obligation or law do you feel was violated? This chat log you somehow gained access to was where and you know it was these persons how? Where it is unethical to discuss such matters its not likely illegal. However you can certainly consult an Attorney and see what he says
These chat logs we came across have all of our names posted. Discussing our reviews. The executive director telling our co workers what he will be giving us. Isn't that breaking the law or violating some kind of law, rule?

Ok what chat? yahoo, msn, myspace? Why are you into someone elses computer? Once more there is no law that protects peopel from talking about you. The exception would be in a contract was sign like one would have with a therapist

Contrary to what FAR too many people believe, you have next to no guarantee of confidentiality in the workplace. There are NOT privacy laws in employment with VERY few exceptions, almost all of which relate to medical information.

Besides, and I am sure you did, signed an internet policy agreement in which your company disclosed that at anytime and as often as they need, they can have access to anything that happens on your computer. The fact that someone leaked those logs does not entitle you to be the one to make a right out of a wrong. Sorry, but nothing you can do besides moving on to bigger and better things.

There was no "internet policy agreement" at our company. So, basically all this was just unethical and I just need to move on?

You haven't even convinced me that it's unethical. But it certainly wasn't illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back