Community Driveway obligations

Status
Not open for further replies.

up2023fa

I live in a row house that is served by a community driveway.
This is an older neighborhood without association dues etc. A easement is recorded on our deeds, which to my understanding means that I must allow my neighbors to pass my property. The driveway runs the lenghth of the block and is wide enough for two cars to pass. I own halfway across and the party on the opposite side owns the other half. We recently went door to door to collect money for a drywell replacement. This activity brought up a host of opinions, one of which I hope to clarify here.

A neighbor claims that everyone on the driveway is liable if someone gets hurt. I always thought that I was liable for my property and that's it! They say that if someone sues one homeowner for an injury on the driveway, then that homeowner can turn around and sue all the other homeowners.

If that's the case then can several homeowners sue one homeowner to repair their property?

I have a similar question here for our country subdivision road, which I am in the process of getting turned over to the County. If I can find that thread I will link it, but I'm not at home.

The answer I got from this forum and three attornies is that, yes, you, the owners, jointly and severably, are liable for the the "road".

My homeowner's insurance agent said we are covered by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back