commercial sublease in georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridangeorgia

I signed a lease in May 09. The lease was to end May 10. There was no clause stipulating what would happen if the lease was not carried out full term. Some things changed at the property that I was sub-letting. I expressed to the landlord that the changes would directly effect my business and that I didn't think it could work. They suggested I speak to someone that they had a (business) relationship with about sub-letting their space. When that did not work out, I began looking for other places. When I found a place and moved, the landlord(s) said that I owed for the remainder of the lease. January-May 2010. Is this true? What should I do?

Usually you will be on the hook for the remainder of the lease unless you can find someone else to take it over. However, once you are out, the landlord has to make a reasonable effort to fill the space as well in order to minimize damages... they can't just sit back and collect your benjamins.
Your contract may not have provided language regarding breaking the lease early, but the state law will provide a default remedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back