Consumer Law, Warranties College Student About to be Swindled out of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreaM

I attend a college and have a full scholarship with Army ROTC at another college. Last quarter, I received a refund check as well as a tuition bill stating a balance of $0.00. I then received a sum of $8130 in my bank account in June, after that quarter was over. Now, in September, I receive notification that that money was accidentally sent to me, instead of my school. I no longer have the money, as it appeared in was mine, I spent in in necessary ways. The school has given me 7 days to come up with the money, and my ROTC unit is looking the other way, although I am a contracted student which means they are obligated by contract to pay my tuition. What are my rights? Am I responsible for their negligence to follow up where they sent their money? The head person from ROTC called my father and told him that I would have to pay my school, since they had already dispensed the money once and that if I got thrown out of school on the account of I couldn't come up with the money, he would have to say I defaulted and I would have to repay the Army all the money they've ever spent on me, in addition to repaying my school. Shortly after, he contradicted himself and told my dad that if I had to pay my school back, they wouldn't make me pay them. It seems to me that they made the mistake and are now panicing to fix it before higher ranks gain knowledge of the situation. I don't feel that I am responsible for all if any of this money, as I am not the one whom made the mistake. What can I do? Someone, please respond soon if you know anything about this, because Friday is the deadline.

Atlanta, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back