Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

I owe on a judgement that was made against me in 1993. The amount of that judgement was for $1200 and it was to be paid to some apartments that I broke a lease with. I never paid the debt because I couldn't afford to and my credit was shot anyway. The debt is being handled by an attorney's office who is now asking for $2400. I made them an offer of $1500. They said to call back in two days so that they could ask their client if they'd accept. I called back and they said that their client will accept $2000. I said I'll have to make payments then, because that's all I have. They said they'd accept $50. payments no problem. I got a little confused by this because I'd always thought that debt collectors like to be paid in bulk. I went ahead and called the old apartments to ask why they wouldn't accept my offer and they told me that they were never contacted about an offer and that they are no longer handling that debt. I then called the attorney's office back and the person who was handling my case was out of the office. I told the receptionist about the call I made and asked if I'd been lied to. Suddenly, the other women had returned to the office and I was connected to her. I asked her if she had lied to me and she told me that it was actually her manager who had spoken with the so called client. I asked to speak to her manager and I was told that he was out of the office. I asked if I could make an appointment to speak with him in person and she said that I'd have to ask him. I then asked for his voice mail and she was very glad to connect me. His voice mail came on and said that I could not leave a message because it was full. I was then didconnected. I didn't call back for fear that they might say that I'm harrassing them.
Are they allowed to lie to me and avoid me like that? I want to pay the debt and honest, $1500. is all I've got to do it with. Why on earth would they accept payments over a lump sum? What can I do about this? Why do they say that they are collecting for "so and so" when they are not? I can see that they want to turn a little profit, but this is rediculous.:confused:

While I don't think it was handled properly, there are other issues at hand that might change your perspective.

I don't think it is a matter only of profit, but also of cost. Why should the collection group be out of pocket in trying to chase you via instructions from the plaintiff? The truth is that you, the person who didn't pay your debt, should pay for the cost of collection. I am sorry that you were unable to pay for it at the time but there are also ways of handling the debt.

Needless to say, you might do best arranging something with the landlord. Whatever you do, get it in writing. Paying off the debt doesn't mean you won't be charged with collections costs if it was part of the lease, which it likely is. You are best settling with them firm and negotiating down -- they will likely be happy to receive .50 -.75 on the dollar and this might not be a bad offer, especially if they know your financial situation and might not ever see a penny. Good luck with your negotiation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back