Collection of assets

Loribt

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I have a judgement against me as a result of a real estate issue. I can't pay the judgement. I have nothing in my name. My father is letting me drive his vehicle. I traded a lawn tractor for 6 months rent for an apartment that a friend owns. I plan on filing bankruptcy because I have had to sell just about everything to get by. Anything of any value I have left is not in my name and never has been. Can the party that sued me come and take any of my assets if nothing is in my name? I just started a job two days ago and will use my first check to file bankruptcy. Could they still have my wages garnished even though I file bankruptcy? Would they already know I have a job if my employer hasn't even processed any pay for me yet.

Beware that deliberately concealing your assets, if you are, could get you in trouble.
Yes, wages likely can be garnished. Planning to file bankruptcy does not protect you- you have quite a ways to go in that process.

I have a judgement against me as a result of a real estate issue. I can't pay the judgement. I have nothing in my name. My father is letting me drive his vehicle. I traded a lawn tractor for 6 months rent for an apartment that a friend owns. I plan on filing bankruptcy because I have had to sell just about everything to get by. Anything of any value I have left is not in my name and never has been. Can the party that sued me come and take any of my assets if nothing is in my name? I just started a job two days ago and will use my first check to file bankruptcy. Could they still have my wages garnished even though I file bankruptcy? Would they already know I have a job if my employer hasn't even processed any pay for me yet.

See a bankruptcy lawyer ASAP.
The moment your lawyer files the BK, all collections activity must cease.
Your lawyer will explain the details to you.

Can the party that sued me come and take any of my assets if nothing is in my name?

Not without first getting a court order.

I just started a job two days ago and will use my first check to file bankruptcy. Could they still have my wages garnished even though I file bankruptcy?

Once you file your BK papers with the court and the creditor is notified of the BK, all collection efforts are stayed.

Would they already know I have a job if my employer hasn't even processed any pay for me yet.

Probably not. It could be months before they figure it out.

Back