Collection letter for Parking ticket from '98

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisionTilt

So I get this letter, at my parents house no less?, saying I owe the Collection Company for the City of San Diego, with no indication what this is for.

I call the people and they say it is for a $36 parking ticket that I got in July of 98.

I told them I paid it back then, they say the do not have records of it and that I now owe them $144.97 in interest and the new letter is postmarked April 20, 2004?

They say they sent 3 letters to me in '98, I have no recollection of this, but I remember taking care of this.

I have since lived in San Diego, bought a home in San Diego, started a business in San Diego, and recently moved out of the state as of March of this year, and bought another home in Texas.

This has never appeared on my credit report.

They say it's not unusual that they havn't notified me about this in 6 years and that if I can provide proof that I paid them then it's no problem. How am I supposed to get proof of paying them something from 6 years ago? I don't remember how I would have paid them, and going back and buying the bank statements would cost me $5 per month of statements.

Suggestions? Options?

Thanks.

Simply send them a letter CRRR stating that you paid the ticket and their records are incorrect. Then if they reply demand that they produce verification by providing you with a copy of the ticket.

You will probably never hear from them again and after seven years they cannot legally put it on your credit report.

Thanks for you help.....

I didn't think they needed to produce anything though? I thought that the burden of proof was on me?

What is CRRR?

I didn't think they needed to produce anything though?

They have to provide proof that you actually received a parking ticket. The only way they can do this is to provide a copy which I doubt that they have.

CRRR is certified mail return receipt requested. That way you can prove that you wrote them and that they received your letter. This is the method any legal documents should be mailed.

Here is a good site with lots of information about your credit report with sample letters and credit report links.

Your Credit Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back