collection agency harrassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadqween

:mad:

I currently have quite a bit of credit card debt, on top of that I lost my job in September. Here's the question, is a collection agency legally allowed to contact (by phone apparently) someone WHOM I DO NOT KNOW AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LIFE, except for the fact that she lives in the apartment next to me, in order to ask her to write me a note to call them "in regards to an urgent business matter that requires my immediate attention"???? A reference number was provided so I'm positive it was from a collection agency.

This poor girl doesn't even know me, we say "hello" in the carport on occasion, that's it! Isn't this considered harrassment?
Not to mention the humiliation to me since she works in a law firm, according to the paper (with her name on it) that the note was written on. I would imagine she'd figure out the "veiled" message even though it wasn't mentioned that it was from a collection agency as far as I know.
Thanks in advance!
Heidi

In response to harrassment by collection agencies, Congress enacted the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act more. Collection agencies are forbidden to call you at home and send you threatening letters repeatedly. They are not allowed to contact your neighbors, relatives, and employers in the same fashion. The law enables you to sue debt collectors who employ false representations, unfair practices, and abuse while trying to enforce a debt. Failure to comply may result in liability for actual damages, statutory damages up to $1,000, and attorney's costs.

Originally posted by toadqween
:mad:

I currently have quite a bit of credit card debt, on top of that I lost my job in September. Here's the question, is a collection agency legally allowed to contact (by phone apparently) someone WHOM I DO NOT KNOW AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LIFE, except for the fact that she lives in the apartment next to me, in order to ask her to write me a note to call them "in regards to an urgent business matter that requires my immediate attention"???? A reference number was provided so I'm positive it was from a collection agency.

This poor girl doesn't even know me, we say "hello" in the carport on occasion, that's it! Isn't this considered harrassment?
Not to mention the humiliation to me since she works in a law firm, according to the paper (with her name on it) that the note was written on. I would imagine she'd figure out the "veiled" message even though it wasn't mentioned that it was from a collection agency as far as I know.
Thanks in advance!
Heidi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back