Co-signed for a college load

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevTomCat

Could someone please give me advice. I don't know where to turn.
In my past marriage, My x-wife was previously married. Her Daughter decided to live with us. My x-wife did not have credit and I agreed to co-sign for a loan for her daughter so she could get a federal loan to attend School at
Lochhaven University in Pennsylvania. One always thinks that a marriage will last forever. It did not because my x-wife chose to leave for another women.
Don't laugh, it happens. Anyhow, It was verbally agreed that she would pay off the debt of the load about 10 years ago. The divorce was final about 7 years ago and she said she would pay the load off. Then one day I received a notice that she wanted me to sign a deferment because she had paid on the load, but was unable to do it because of finacial difficulties. I was a nice guy and complied. She and her friend filed for bank ruptsy later and the realtionship was desolved. A year ago, she again requested another deferal from the load agency and I was nice again and signed again. This year, I started to get a bill in the mail that belongs to her. I called her and she said she would pay it if I sent her the bill. I asked her top get a loan so my name would be off the bill. She said she was unable to do that at this time. I asked her to change the address so the bills would come to her and not me. She agreed. I sent her the bill and was glad she was being responsible. I just received a bill saying the bill was not paid last month and a late fee was applied. The new bill was due and if not paid, my credit could be effected.
My question is, am I responsible for this money owed for her daughter. The daughter has her mother and father. I do not feel like it is my responsibility to pay the debt of over $9,000. Could you please help me with understanding my rights in this matter. I would be so greatful for your council as I don't have any money to pay this off that I can spare.
If you wish to answer this, please send me a reply to
RevTomCat777@Comcast.net - God Bless !
Rev. TomCat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back