Co-executor of will

Meagan

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hello,

My mother passed away March 19, 2021 and my sister and I are co-executors of her will.

I was told I need to bring a form 'Grant of Letters' to court to make it official (I thought it *was* official since it was notarized but that doesn't mean a whole lot). I cannot get a hold of anyone at the county office (Allegheny County, PA) as their phone system is broken and keeps hanging up on me.

So here are my problems:
1) I don't understand much of the Grant of Letters form/how to fill it out. Need help understanding the jargon.
2) My sister lives in a different state and cannot make it to court to be made official co-executor of the will--what is the process for something like that?

I'm overwhelmed and would love to hear from someone who can answer these basic questions.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Grant of Letters (2).pdf
    683.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Grant of Letters (3).pdf
    683.2 KB · Views: 2
First of all, please accept my sincerest condolences upon the passing of your mom. May she forever rest in peace.

What is the approximate value of the estate? A GUESS is all I'm seeking.

Did your mother own a home? Again, take a guess at the home's value.

Did she own a car(s)? Another guess at it's value please.

Depending on your answers, a small, speedy, simple process MIGHT be available to you.

A legal website known as NOLO, might offer all the answers, forms, guidance you seek.

This IS but one of many EXCELLENT tips NOLO provides:

Money in bank accounts. Financial institutions may release up to $10,000 to the surviving spouse or another close family member without probate court authorization. All the survivor must do is show the bank a certified copy of the death certificate and proof that funeral expenses have been paid.

Read all about it below:

Pennsylvania Probate: An Overview

Back