Assault & Battery Class C Misdemeanor: Assault Causes Bodily Injury Family Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous1122

In the year 2005 I was arrested for assault causes bodily injury family member. I was 20 years old at the time. I am not really sure what happened because I was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol at the time, but I am told that I scratched my boyfriend's face with my acrylic nails and left a mark. I was held overnight, pled no contest (I also have no recollection of making this plea), was charged with a class c misdemeanor, and released without prosecution. At the time of my release, my parents were told that this offense was no worse than a traffic ticket.

I am in school right now to be a teacher, and this offense shows up on EVERY criminal background check I fill out. I was recently turned down to volunteer at a preschool because I have an arrest on my record, but I am being allowed to do observation at a local elementary school after appealing my CBC and writing an explanatory paragraph.

This is my worst nightmare. I have not done anything like it before or since, and I don't remember committing the offense itself due to my extreme level of intoxication at the time. I have a 4.0, am a member of an honor society, and even volunteer in the community. This is not indicative of my character.

My question is: Can I do ANYTHING to make this go away, especially due to the circumstance of having had a mental illness (manic depression) at the time and not being cogniscent at the time of the event? The title of the conviction makes no sense to me, as my ex-boyfriend was not a family member. And why class c rather than class a, like most bodily harm related assaults I have read about?

Also, does anyone have any advice on what to tell employers about this conviction? How much will they be able to see about the offense if they do a background check? Does anyone know if I will be able to get a teaching job, or any good job for that matter with this on my record?

I know that this is a lot of information. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer any of my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back