Class 4 Felony Expungement - Carry/Possess Firearm

Class4Illinois

Jurisdiction
Illinois
In 1995 i was 20 years old. I was arrested with a handgun. I didn't have a FOID card. I plead guilty and received IPS (probation) for a year which i completed. I haven't had any other criminal arrests or convictions since.

Is it possible (and likely) to get this removed from my record? If so what are my options?

Screenshot attached from beenverified.

Thanks.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 2
Is it possible (and likely) to get this removed from my record?

Illinois MIGHT be inclined to remove the charging/arresting and all subsequent data.
The problem is that the FEDS (as in FBI and the national fingerprint center) rarely take such an action, or accept it when states choose to do so.

I suggest you visit a couple ILLINOIS licensed attorneys who work with expungements (usually criminal defense lawyers) and see what results they have had or have learned about.

Until the FEDS are willing to allow people a second chance, what the states are doing doesn't fully accomplish what people desire.

Make sure you keep your expectations very low as you proceed down this rathole.

You can not get a felony CONVICTION expunged. PERIOD. IPS is not a diversion, you still have that conviction.

You can get it sealed. However, I do not believe that will affect your state (and hence Federal) gun prohibitions. You must wait 20 years to apply for a new FOID and even then its discretionary. Further, unless you get your gun rights restored in Illinois, you're federally barred from possessing firearms anywhere.

But AJ is right, you should talk to an attorney about your situation and goals.

Back