Clarification on applying for a marriage license if already entered into a civil union

pcalde119

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My fiancé and I entered into a civil union back in 2013 in Cook County. We are now trying to get married and attempted to obtain a marriage license in Kendall County where we are planning to get married. We were rejected a marriage license in Kendall because we were told we could not get a license because we were already in the civil union. Kendall County stated that we needed to get the civil union converted into a marriage in Cook County. Cook County says we need to dissolve the civil union before we can apply for a marriage license. Multiple legal websites regarding this issue have a slight variation on all of this. Cook County website says we can covert the civil union into a marriage but applying for the marriage license and getting married. When we applied for the license 3 years ago and of course before the new marriage law was passed, we asked many questions to the clerk and judge who performed the ceremony all of these questions. We were repeated told that we did not have to dissolve the civil union and we could simply apply for the marriage license. Please help or guide me in the direction, we are suppose to be getting married in three weeks.

Any advice other than the advice given by the issuing official in the applicable counties is useless.

You might wish to consult a domestic relations or family law attorney in your county for further guidance.

Any advice other than the advice given by the issuing official in the applicable counties is useless.

You might wish to consult a domestic relations or family law attorney in your county for further guidance.

I tried one, he was clueless and told me he was clueless on this matter. Just trying to seek alternative advice or help before I start calling everyone listed in the phonebook

I tried one, he was clueless and told me he was clueless on this matter. Just trying to seek alternative advice or help before I start calling everyone listed in the phonebook

That MIGHT mean you'll have to sue someone and have a court order your remedy.

Elected officials have great leeway in interpreting state statutes.

Back