Clarification of rights

Lina Perez

Jurisdiction
Asia
Hi, may I just ask about some legal matters about me and my partner? We are Filipinos but my partner is a Retired American citizen and US Merchant Marine, he's 81 and I'm 71 years old. We've been together for almost 8 years, but we didn't get married and sadly he just passed away this month due to cardiac arrest. I'm the one who took care of him before and we went to California last 2010 with Fiancé visa that he got for me and we stayed there for almost 3 months. I would just ask if I have any rights on any of his assets that is placed in the Bank of America? Thank you!

Hi, may I just ask about some legal matters about me and my partner? We are Filipinos but my partner is a Retired American citizen and US Merchant Marine, he's 81 and I'm 71 years old. We've been together for almost 8 years, but we didn't get married and sadly he just passed away this month due to cardiac arrest. I'm the one who took care of him before and we went to California last 2010 with Fiancé visa that he got for me and we stayed there for almost 3 months. I would just ask if I have any rights on any of his assets that is placed in the Bank of America? Thank you!

No, you were just his, as we Americans say, "sidepiece".
You had no legitimate or legal relationship to the deceased.
Sorry, next time get him to put a ring on it, if you wish to inherit his junk.

It depends. Did the account have you listed on it in any way? Contact them and find out. you don't have to be married to a person to have a joint account. If there was a will and you are named, you will inherit whether you were a legal spouse or not.

Back