Claiming property after someone moved out

atp_08

Hello, im hoping this is the right place to put this. Back story. My friend owns a house. She had her boyfriend at the time living with her. He paid her rent but there was no official lease or anythibg like that. Well they broke up and he has since moved out but he left ALOT of his personal property behind. My friend has been calling and texting him asking when he is going to come get his stuff. Well hes apparently made no effort to even give her a time frame of when he'll remove his stuff. He moved out about 7mo ago. So at what point can she either sell the stuff, claim it as her own, or throw it away? Or what is the proper protocol for her to get his stuff out of her house? This is in maryland by the way.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Such are the usual consequences of shacking up with boyfriends/girlfriends. Won't people every learn?

Anyway, MD doesn't have a "tenant's abandoned property" statute like most states so I always suggest a common sense approach.

She should make a photographic inventory of all the items while piling them up in one place. Then send written notice to the BF that he has until a specific deadline date to remove his items or they will be tossed in the trash or picked up by the local charity. If not removed by the deadline, toss it all or drop it off at the local charity.

She should not attempt to keep or sell any of it because then she could be sued for money, and lose.

She should keep a permanent copy of the letter and send it priority mail with tracking and a delivery confirmation. No signature request as people duck that kind of mail. Evidence of mailing is all she'd need.

Thanks for the response! Its interesting that he could sue her if she kept it/sold it even though he left it in her house for a prolonged period of time. But i guess better safe than sorry

Thanks for the response! Its interesting that he could sue her if she kept it/sold it even though he left it in her house for a prolonged period of time. But i guess better safe than sorry

Most people don't care about the junk left behind.
Many of them "forget" the junk, until they learn its been discarded.

It's at that moment $$$ dance over their heads, with visions of lawsuits asleep in their beds.
It's a setup employed by scammers and scalawags, intended to drive you from riches to rags.
Never allow a friend to squat in the home you got.
Better tell them boarders & squatters you permit, not.
Too many people got eyes on your stuff,
Better say no if you don't like it rough.

Back