Claim Receipt sent to wrong address...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd2312

Banned
My ex-husband and I got braces for our daughter using 2 separate contracts for payment at our Ortho's office. After my contract was made, my insurance changed & I ended up getting a ortho benefit which was credited to my Ortho contract. However, my dental insurance sent the claim receipt to my ex-husband's address, but with my name on it. When I contacted the insurance company, they admitted in writing to sending it to the incorrect address, but listed with my name. The insurance company blamed the Ortho office for sending the incorrect address on the original claim form when they submitted for benefit. The dental insurance company state they did not violate any HIPAA laws. I am wondering what I can do about this. Don't they need my permission to send my mail to a different address that they currently have in their system? Also, isn't it there job to cross check the address since it is not the original address I listed when signing up for the insurance?? That would mean that any office could submit my name with a different address & the insurance would never question it, just send it out??? Also, I never lived at my ex-husband's address...We live in 2 different states. The insurance is through Massachusetts, I live in New Hampshire, but they sent my mail to Maine.

My ex-husband and I got braces for our daughter using 2 separate contracts for payment at our Ortho's office. After my contract was made, my insurance changed & I ended up getting a ortho benefit which was credited to my Ortho contract. However, my dental insurance sent the claim receipt to my ex-husband's address, but with my name on it. When I contacted the insurance company, they admitted in writing to sending it to the incorrect address, but listed with my name. The insurance company blamed the Ortho office for sending the incorrect address on the original claim form when they submitted for benefit. The dental insurance company state they did not violate any HIPAA laws. I am wondering what I can do about this. Don't they need my permission to send my mail to a different address that they currently have in their system? Also, isn't it there job to cross check the address since it is not the original address I listed when signing up for the insurance?? That would mean that any office could submit my name with a different address & the insurance would never question it, just send it out??? Also, I never lived at my ex-husband's address...We live in 2 different states. The insurance is through Massachusetts, I live in New Hampshire, but they sent my mail to Maine.

Who cares?

Is this worth a fight that you'll lose?

There was no violation here, but why odon't you go ahead and whine to HIPAA.

This is their link explaining "privacy".

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

This is their main website:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Yeah, have fun during the upcoming holidays (you know peace on Earth, good will among all mankind) whining, moaning, complaining, and howling.

Happy HOWLidays!

Because now my ex-husband is suing me for "defrauding" him and premeditating changing my insurance after our contracts were executed. I have to now retain an attorney, since someone sent my insurance explanation of benefits to him. And not only did he open it, he tried to blackmail me with it. None of this would have happened had it not been sent to the wrong address!!! You pay an attorney and see how you feel!!!

You do realize that he could have obtained the EOBs without your consent anyway, yes?

This is not a HIPAA violation.

(Not even close, actually)

You haven't been harmed by anything your ex did = no case.

Because now my ex-husband is suing me for "defrauding" him and premeditating changing my insurance after our contracts were executed. I have to now retain an attorney, since someone sent my insurance explanation of benefits to him. And not only did he open it, he tried to blackmail me with it. None of this would have happened had it not been sent to the wrong address!!! You pay an attorney and see how you feel!!!

I AM an attorney.

Get this, as an ATTORNEY, I never pay one.

I also don't pay surgeons, my physician, my dentist, or my accountant.

We call it PROFESSIONAL courtesy.

Gee, if you're PAYING an attorney, why seek FREE information?

Off you go, nothing more to say.

I'm not reading.

By the way, I hope you lose.

You shouldn't havwe tried to beat him out of a lousy 100 bucks.

SHEESH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back