Civil Suit against my Husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLM3002

We recieved letters last year saying my husband owed money, but we have know idea where the debt came from nor is it on his credit report. After repeatedly asking for proof and details on the "account" we recieved nothing, so we ignored it. Then a few months later they called and requested the money again. We still never recieved paper work, but I did manage to get one of them to say that the account was from a bank that we've never had an account with and that they probably bought if from the bank we do have an account with. We checked with our bank and they couldn't find anything. Plus the guy on the phone said that since the account was over 10 years old they couldn't put it on my husbands credit report. Now we got a phone call saying there is a civil suit against my husband about this money and they want to settle before it goes any further. I don't know what to do. Please help me. Is this for real?

The unwillingness to provide proof makes this suspect. I would guess its a scam hoping you will be scared enough to pay something. Consult an Attorney in regards to what they "must" tell you and provide to you.

Even if it is, there is nothing they can do. Next time they call get their information and send them a letter not to call you again. There are lots of sample letters on the web. Even if they do sue you it is past the Statute of Limitations and that is a complete defense but you must timely include it in your response to the summons. I doubt you will hear anything further and it sounds like a scam anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back