Civil Recovery Payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosefam

I am 16 year old and a first time offender for shoplifting a product under the value of $ 85 (About $83)
I am asked to pay $425 by Macys (Los Angeles), Police asked me to appear at Juvenile Court on Feb 6, 2012 (Notice of Appear)
Would you please let me know what would happen to me? Do I need a lawyer? Do I have to pay $425?

Yes you need a Lawyer and yes (in my view) you need to pay the $425.00 there can be severe consequences for not paying

I am 16 year old and a first time offender for shoplifting a product under the value of $ 85 (About $83)
I am asked to pay $425 by Macys (Los Angeles), Police asked me to appear at Juvenile Court on Feb 6, 2012 (Notice of Appear)
Would you please let me know what would happen to me? Do I need a lawyer? Do I have to pay $425?

You are a minor.

You aren't required to do anything.

In fact, they (whoever wrote you) should NOT have contacted you.

I suggest you immediately share this information with your parent(s) or guardian(s).

They don't have to pay, either, unless a court orders them to do so.

Which they won't, because as a minor you can't legally commit crimes.

Minors are delinquent, at worst, never convicted; merely adjudicated.

Contact mommy and daddy and let them protect you.

But, please don't ever get involved in this again, because you'll soon be an adult.

Merry Christmas.

Sure wait for a court to order this then fine will triple. There are civil demand laws on books yes its law. Failure to pay can carry severe consequences to you and your parents its your call. The above poster did not even know such existed until about a year ago. I on other hand have beendealing with this for a very long time. I know the possible outcomes and risks.

If your parents were not notified of the matter and did not receive notice for you to appear in court then you will likely escape consequence for not appearing. They would just come later and do proper service though. Your signature on a document promising to go to court or pay a fine means absolutely nothing because of your age.
As said above, if your parents are not aware you need to make them aware so they can protect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back