civil demand

gonzalez234

so about a month ago and incident occurred at a store, i was pressured into stealing and I took a couple of small items. store security had caught me and the other person. when we talked everything going over they gave me the choice of either calling the cops or completing a program in which I had to read and answer questions but also pay a $400 fine. they told me after I completed that, I would be good to go. that has been completed. and now I got a letter in the mail telling me I owe a civil demand of $250. I do not have money to pay this. do I still have to be $250 on top of the $400? I think it is ridiculous for the small items. they were recovered, and able to be resold.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Civil Demand is state law and there can be long term consequences for not paying. I would think the $400.00 and course you took would satisfy store I also wonder if they even collect Civil Demand since they already got $400.00 from you. I would contact the store this might be an error I would also discuss this with an Attorney.

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

I got a letter in the mail telling me I owe a civil demand of $250. I do not have money to pay this.

Boo hoo.

do I still have to be $250 on top of the $400?

Call the person who sent you the letter and ask that question. Comply with the answer. They still have the option of calling the cops on you.

I think it is ridiculous for the small items.

And I think it's ridiculous that you believe that you were "pressured" into becoming a criminal.

My guess is that "pressured" into shoplifting means that you were with other people and they helped you justify committing a petty crime. It seems that the $400 probably helped you learn the lesson. Did they give you a receipt for the $400 that you paid?

In this case I think that it pays to do what @shrinkmaster and @adjusterjack are telling you. After all it could certainly be a mistake. And I am guessing that if it wasn't, they would look incredibly poor trying to assert an additional $250 claim on top of the $400 you agreed to pay them in the store. Something doesn't seem right.

For your information, the cost of the fine isn't meant to be a bribe not to call the police. It's the store's desire to settle with you the cost of having to pay a great deal of money to prevent shoplifting and retail theft where those who are caught are held responsible to pay the cost of the measures. When you leave a retail store, consider that the salary of the security guard is only necessary because of shoplifters and the fine you pay goes towards paying his or her salary.

Back