Civil claim

Sharjeel10

Jurisdiction
New York
I was given a civil claim for shoplifting at my place of employment. The cops were not called and the estimated loss to my knowledge, was about $500. I got a letter from the firm palmer, reifled saying i owe the company in losses of $5000. I was ready to pay my dues but im a full time student and the money there asking me to pay is outmost outrageous. I was not given a court order nor any police called nor arrested, none of it at all and now im in a stuck position as i dont know what to do. Any suggestions as should i hire a debt consolidator or just simply ignore the letter?

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Your employer has chosen a "Civil" solution this is commonly called "Civil Demand" (see links below) The Law firm you name can be VERY aggressive at seeking these funds and the consequences for not paying can be long term and severe (again see below) including filing of criminal charges. Many will say dont pay but again they may or may not choose to use any or all of the options available by law to them to seek these funds and P &R is known to use them. My advice to all my clients is pay but thats your call. The request is legal and should not be ignored in my view.

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Your employer has chosen a "Civil" solution this is commonly called "Civil Demand" (see links below) The Law firm you name can be VERY aggressive at seeking these funds and the consequences for not paying can be long term and severe (again see below) including filing of criminal charges. Many will say dont pay but again they may or may not choose to use any or all of the options available by law to them to seek these funds and P &R is known to use them. My advice to all my clients is pay but thats your call. The request is legal and should not be ignored in my view.

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery
Is there any possible way i can have the demand reduced? There asking me to pay over 10x in original cost of losses which to me makes absolutely no sense at all.

Is there any possible way i can have the demand reduced? There asking me to pay over 10x in original cost of losses which to me makes absolutely no sense at all.

Okay, here's what you can do, and it won't initially cost you a dime.
Make appointments with three to five criminal defense lawyers near you.
Ask friends, relatives, colleagues, or use the internet to search for GOOD, criminal defense attorneys.

You still with me, mate?

Great, make appointments with the three to five you select.

Don't worry about costs, as the INITIAL consultation with MOST attorneys is offered FREE of charge or further obligation.

You'll get 20-30 minutes with the attorney to discuss your legal dilemma.
Bring ALL of the paperwork associated with this issue with you.
Ask questions, you'll be surprised what you learn, I assure you.
I could spoil the surprise, but I want you to experience that special JOY we all feel when we discover there are better options available to us than we imagine to solve a problem.

In the end, it'll cost you about $500-$1,000 (give or take) to make this ALL go away.

Don't ask anymore questions here, take your concerns to licensed, experienced, capable criminal defense lawyers who will demonstrate just how insignificant this matter is, despite what a scamming, bottom feeder law firm says to the contrary.

When you discover the SECRET come back and let us know how this saga ended, okay?
Great, good luck, now get busy solving this event.

Read the links I provided as they address many of your questions as well you can add this to what info you get from talking to Attorneys

Back