Civial suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronin47

Banned
Hello, I am new to the board and need legal question questions answered please. I was in a relationship in Chicago for a few years with a woman that was off and on again. I gave her and engagement ring (cost 13,200.00 appraisal was 28k) 2 weeks after we had a domestic dispute and she called the engagement off threw the ring at me. And during those 2 weeks we were engaged she helped buy me a truck. Cuz of my credit she had to but truck in her name but I gave her 6,600.00 (cashers check) for down payment and $700 cash to clear up so old debts so she could obtain the loan. I also sublet an apartment from her to live in. for many weeks she tried to get back together with me but I refused and had started dating another woman. During this time I took a trip to California where my new girlfriend lived and we went to Las Vegas for 5 days. While I was gone she entered my apartment and found the ring and took it and then she also took the keys for my truck and had put in storage so I could not get at it. I received A text while in Las Vegas from her with picture attached with all my belonging piled up in a pile and told me she knows about my new girlfriend and that when I return I was evicted from the apartment. I returned back to Chicago after trip to my apartment a complete mess. She then brought the police over and told them I was an unwanted guest and wanted me removed from the place. Officer asked if I lived here and received mail here. I stated yes I do and showed him my mail and ID. He told her that this is a civil matter and that she had to give me 30 day notice in writing to evict me. 3 days went by and I received eviction notice attached to a order of protection. I read the complaint and could not believe the lies she spun and of course the courts gave it to her cause she was a city employee and she feared for her life cause of my size and build. I was order to pack as much as I could and called a cab and had to move into hotel @120 a night for 5 days. I lost my job because of all this and was unable to get the rest of my belongings back. I was low on cash and could not rent a car and I had no one how would help me out so with my last $250 I took a cab to bus station and moved out to California with new girlfriend. Because of order of protection I could not contact her but instead she contacted my mother and told her that she took the ring because she thought she deserved it and told my mother the truck is in her name not mine that is why she took it. My mother tried many times to broker a deal with her to get my belongings, truck(or down payment for truck back) and ring. Which during this time she tried to have the diamond broker I bought the ring from to but it in her name and change the certificate that states (engagement ring) to gift. Broker refused to do so and contacted me right away. ........So now I live in California with my new girlfriend and I had to start all over again. I still have not received my belongings, my down payment or the ring back. She has slandered my name in Chicago. I know I have to get an attorney for this that practices in IL to go further with this suit. I have copies of check from bank that got the funds out of my account to purchase ring and statements for everything including copies of down payment check for truck and money that she owes me. I have had hard time trying to obtain an attorney they don't call back or they say they will look at it and get back to me. Also while this has been going on the ex fiancé has contacted my new girlfriend and her 2 daughters threw face book and has slandered me and has gone as far as to call new girlfriends mother to tell her I'm bad news, this has tore my life and girlfriends life upside down. Has caused lots of drama and distress to our relationship. Could someone please give me their opinion on this and help me find an attorney (pardon the expression) with balls enough to take this on and get back what is owed to me and something for the slander and distress that this has caused my girlfirein and myself. Thank you

Let's start at the beginning.

The limit in IL for small claims is $10,000.

Before we go further, who actually initiated the break-up? Was it you? She? Both?

This important. And so is any proof.

I gave her an engagement ring (cost 13,200.00 appraisal was 28k) 2 weeks after we had a domestic dispute and she called the engagement off threw the ring at me.

And during those 2 weeks we were engaged she helped buy me a truck. Cuz of my credit she had to but truck in her name but I gave her 6,600.00 (cashers check) for down payment and $700 cash to clear up so old debts so she could obtain the loan. I I received A text while in Las Vegas from her with picture attached with all my belonging piled up in a pile and told me she knows about my new girlfriend and that when I return I was evicted from the apartment.

. Because of order of protection I could not contact her but instead she contacted my mother and told her that she took the ring because she thought she deserved it and told my mother the truck is in her name not mine that is why she took it. My mother tried many times to broker a deal with her to get my belongings, truck(or down payment for truck back) and ring. Which during this time she tried to have the diamond broker I bought the ring from to but it in her name and change the certificate that states (engagement ring) to gift. Broker refused to do so and contacted me right away. ........So now I live in California with my new girlfriend and I had to start all over again. I still have not received my belongings, my down payment or the ring back. She has slandered my name in Chicago. I know I have to get an attorney for this that practices in IL to go further with this suit.

I have copies of check from bank that got the funds out of my account to purchase ring and statements for everything including copies of down payment check for truck and money that she owes me. I have had hard time trying to obtain an attorney they don't call back or they say they will look at it and get back to me. Also while this has been going on the ex fiancé has contacted my new girlfriend and her 2 daughters threw face book and has slandered me and has gone as far as to call new girlfriends mother to tell her

I tried to shorten your missive.

Bottom line, keep looking for a lawyer in Illinois.

If there is a remedy, it won't be in small claims court.

Therefore, hire a lawyer, or forget about this.

I suggest you attempt to write a letter, keep it as short as possible, and stick only to the facts.

Facts are things that you can substantiate with proof, or something that all parties can stipulate to it's veracity, such as it happened on Tuesday, March 21st, 2011.

The main reason a lawyer refuses to respond, they believe your case has little merit, hence my suggestion to be brief.

I suspect the eviction went to her not because she's a low level city employee, but your failure to appear, thereby defaulting the verdict in her favor.

Write a letter, make a dozen copies, send them to the lawyers you select, be patient, see if you get a bite.

Many lawyers allow you to chat via web with them, or to post a BRIEF synopsis of your direct on their website.

You might try that approach.

What you call slander is actually libel, as it's written.
Unless you've got deep pockets and big bank, forget that angle.
You're 3,000 miles apart, so revel in the fact you're no longer in Dodge.

Frankly, I see no case for you in any of this.

Legally the vehicle is hers, as it's in her name alone.

The ring, she'll argue was a gift, unless she says, WHAT RING?

Stop looking behind you, look forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back