City utilities adding 7 year bill to my name and account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonmtanner

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Good evening. My first time using this service so please bare with me. Two weeks ago my electricity was turned off. Thinking it was a downed tree or other reason I went outside and saw two men who work for the city. They said I owed 1400.00 dollars. They couldn't or wouldn't answer any questions. I had paid my bill the week before so I just knew it was a mistake. Went to city hall and was told my mom, who lives with me, owed a past due bill from 2011 in the amount of 1400.00. All kind of questions in regards to legality of them putting a past due bill from my mom and from a different address (still in Washington) from almost seven years ago. Somebody help please.

The fastest solution is for mom to pay her bill, or at least set up a payment plan.

Even if mom doesn't pay the bill I suspect you will be able to get the power back on. You aren't responsible for her past actions. Find out if the city has an appeal process regarding the decision on your account.

If that doesn't get you anywhere then contact a local attorney for help.

How do they even know your Mom lives with you? This makes no sense, but you will have to deal with them. It's City Hall.

All kind of questions in regards to legality of them putting a past due bill from my mom and from a different address (still in Washington) from almost seven years ago. Somebody help please.

Do you and your mother reside in the same home?

Who OWNS the home where you reside?

You mentioned "Washington", do you mean the state, the nation's capitol, or a city/county in Georgia?

The fastest solution is for mom to pay her bill, or at least set up a payment plan.

Even if mom doesn't pay the bill I suspect you will be able to get the power back on. You aren't responsible for her past actions. Find out if the city has an appeal process regarding the decision on your account.

Thank you for the reply. I had the power turned back on the same day by verbally agreeing to a payment plan. The more I thought on it the more it bothered me. I did obtain counsel and wrote my letter to contest the amount, legality and the time. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the input. Just a couple of quick things to add. It's a rental in washington,Ga. I've kept a house in Washington for almost two years for when I come down on the weekends. The city wanted 300 dollars a month on top of the regular bill. I have contacted a lawyer and I sent him with a letter this morning to contest three points. The legality, the statue of limitations (March of 2011) and the bill itself which they are saying is 1400. Thanks again and more input would always be welcomed.

Thanks for all the input. Just a couple of quick things to add. It's a rental in washington,Ga. I've kept a house in Washington for almost two years for when I come down on the weekends. The city wanted 300 dollars a month on top of the regular bill. I have contacted a lawyer and I sent him with a letter this morning to contest three points. The legality, the statue of limitations (March of 2011) and the bill itself which they are saying is 1400. Thanks again and more input would always be welcomed.

Good for you, now that you have lawyered up, you should direct all of your questions to your lawyer.

It is unethical to interfere in your existing attorney-client relationship.

I'll close the thread and wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back