chiropractic malpractice

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Millstj56

Jurisdiction
California
After experiencing severe neck pain for a few weeks, I sought a chiropractor in a town near where I live. The chiropractor ordered an x-Ray of my upper spinal area. In reviewing the x-ray with me the chiropractor told me the the problem was with the disk space between C4 & C5 and a series of adjustments would help fix the problem.
I received four or five adjustments and the pain worsened.
I went to a neurosurgeon and he ordered an MRI. In reviewing the MRI results with me the doctor informed me that the real cause of my pain was coming from a herniated disk between C4 & C5. The disk was pressing into the spinal cord. It required immediate surgery. He informed me, (wife was present) that if I didn't have the surgery I would soon be paralyzed on my right side and lower extremities.
He did the surgery. I am happy to say that I'm pain free and well on my way to full recovery.
It seems to me that the chiropractor was extremely negligent in relying only on an x-ray prior to adjusting the vertebrae. His actions quite possibly worsened the problem and could have paralyzed me.
My question is, was the chiropractor negligent in not ordering an MRI prior to his adjustments? Do I have a potential case against this chiropractor?

There are many horror stories from people who use the services of chiropractors.

It won't hurt you to discuss your concerns with three or four local medical malpractice attorneys.

The initial consultation is normally offered at no cost.

Do I have a potential case against this chiropractor?

I doubt it. Sure, he might have been negligent but he didn't give you the problem, you already had it and you would have figured out soon enough that you needed surgery. He didn't cause you to need the surgery, you needed it anyway.

You got fixed and nothing bad happened to you. You never get money for what didn't happen.

At best, you might be entitled to your money back but even that's iffy.

I'm not defending chiropractic, otherwise known as quackopractic for its voodoo science.

Just being realistic about any claim you might have.

Quackopractic is designed to treat you forever and not fix you. Can't imagine why people keep throwing their money away on "adjustments."

There is a BIG difference between a X-Ray and MRI.... The MRI will show the herniated disc and pushing into the spinal canal. You did what you should have done.... if the problem got worst go see a doctor.

I agree that at best you might be entitled to a refund of the chiropractic services, but they probably won't give that up easily. You can't sue for something that hypothetically might have happened. Thank goodness you had the sense to go to a real doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back