Child Support Unique Situation HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a long divorce from my ex wife, she practically manipulated my son out of my life. I went from joint custody to no visitation rights from her lies in court. After years of not seeing or talking to my son with repeated attempts, I offered her husband to adopt my son. Neither one of us needed the pain and suffering any longer. His mother just didn't care. Her husband adopted my son. My child support stopped compounding at around $1200. The debt has just been sitting in their office unpaid. The last time I spoke to my child support worker, they stated there was a liquidation on my social security number. It meant if I got a bank account, child support would seize the account to pay the $1200. I finally won a disability claim I have been fighting for years from Social Security and received a check in the mail for $16,000. First thing I want to do is pay child support off. Problem is, how can I cash a check so large without a bank account? I don't want to get robbed walking around with all that money. If I open a bank account and deposit the check, will child support freeze all $16,000 or will I have time to withdraw money and pay this off? I really need to pay this off so I can finally get a bank account and put the money in a safe, FDIC insured bank.

Social security proceeds are untouchable, even for child support.

Bottom line, your social security benefits can not be attached or levied against for any reason.

I suggest you make it known to the bank where you open your account, that your funds are solely from social security and can't be levied against.

I spoke to a bank manager. She said that Social Security can touch any money in a checking account. Savings they can't levy at all. The funds themselves can't be levied before they are disbursed. But, there's no way to go about cashing this differently. I refuse to let a check cashing store tax the hell out of $16,000.

Let's clarify.

SSI cannot be directly touched.

SSDI absolutely CAN be touched.

I spoke to a bank manager. She said that Social Security can touch any money in a checking account. Savings they can't levy at all. The funds themselves can't be levied before they are disbursed. But, there's no way to go about cashing this differently. I refuse to let a check cashing store tax the hell out of $16,000.
How about SPENDING some of $16,000 and hiring an attorney?
Free advice is free advice.

You don't have to put the entire check in the bank when you open your account and cash the check. Shoot, you could even put some of it in CD's or an IRA. Just make the first check your write to the CSE where you still owe child support and get it taken care of asap. Then they won't have any need to freeze any of your accounts. I'm betting if you do that right away, they won't even find your bank accounts before the debt is cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back