Child Support Obligation and Modification

invertnegative

I have a question about how my circumstances may effect my current child support obligation. I have been ordered to pay $1111.00 a month for child support since mid year of 2012. Currently, I make $2080 a month before taxes and my arrears are nearly $25,000 now. I also have 50/50 custody of my daughter. I'd also like to mention that my daughters mother has worked a total of 5 months at minimum wage since my daughter was born. My obligation was so high, because after I was served papers to appear at a child support conference, I told them how much my biggest check ever was. I just wanted my daughter to be taken care of well, so I was not worried about having to pay so much. I regret that now, as I have quit that job in 2013 so that I could have more time with my daughter. I haven't been able to make nearly as much (in fact, not even 1/5th of what I made) while living in my daughters home state. I have sent a total of 4 requests to modify child support. The first request was 'lost', or so they've told me three months later. Upon my second request they scheduled a modification conference, of which I was made unaware. My child support went to a default of $1111.00. Since then I have been granted 50/50 custody of my daughter and have her 183 nights a year, which is really great. I have not missed a day with her since then (nearly a year). The third request was once again 'lost' by the child support enforcement unit. Another three months of waiting. On the fourth request, after about two years of waiting, I was finally given a modification conference. With the new information I provided, an attorney that represents the child support enforcement unit realized that my child support obligation should be 'reversed'. She calculated with a colorado obligation worksheet that my daughters mother would have to pay me roughly $300. So my question is, will the child support obligation reversal stand in court? And if not, will my support obligation and arrears be dropped? I would also like to know if it is likely that I will have to continue to pay support, and if so, how much sounds fair?

You need to speak with a family law attorney or two in your county.
Discuss your concerns, seek their counsel, because without an attorney you'll keep getting "lost papers", "checks in the mail", and "empty promises".

You can't achieve the results you want without hiring your attorney. So, you pay your attorney and try to get that burning necklace off your neck.

You are going to need an attorney to help you & answer your questions.

Back