Child Support Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernscin

What step are required to have child support modified in the state of Texas. Is it something that can be orchestrated by an individual.

If there is a substantial change in NCP income, how long do I have to wait to modify. (I'm talking $20K per year)

Last edited:
What step are required to have child support modified in the state of Texas. Is it something that can be orchestrated by an individual.

If there is a substantial change in NCP income, how long do I have to wait to modify. (I'm talking $20K per year)

Sure, some people do this pro se. Others hire an attorney.

Are you current with ALL your support payments?

How much are you paying now?

How much were you earning?

Have you been unemployed? If so, for how long? How long have you been back to work?

Sure, some people do this pro se. Others hire an attorney.

Are you current with ALL your support payments?

How much are you paying now?

How much were you earning?

Have you been unemployed? If so, for how long? How long have you been back to work?

Current with payments. Right now paying 547.00 per month. Was making $52K per year, now making $75K per year. No unemployment. Just changed jobs in July. I think my ex is going to try for a modification.

Current with payments. Right now paying 547.00 per month. Was making $52K per year, now making $75K per year. No unemployment. Just changed jobs in July. I think my ex is going to try for a modification.

I get it now.
She can try.

But, in Texas, if one parent's income has changed (either gone up or down) by at least 25%, this is considered a big enough change to require a change in the support order. A modification for a lesser change in income can be filed, but will not necessarily be guaranteed a change in the support order.

Given what you've said, your income went up more than 25%. But, a great deal depends on how long the current order has been in place.

It also depends on who pays for health insurance and how many children. I did a quick calculation from the tables and you might be in for a clipping. I don't have your exemptions, but generally you could be paying $1,152 on an income of $75K! This is a ROUGH calculation.

If I were you, I'd fight it.

Last edited:
Orders been in place for 1 1/2 years. I am suppose to carry health insurance but new job has no coverage. Been shopping around but everythings an arm and a leg.

Orders been in place for 1 1/2 years. I am suppose to carry health insurance but new job has no coverage. Been shopping around but everythings an arm and a leg.

Health insurance is going to get worse.

Maybe you can make a deal and negotiate with your ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back