Child support, international, Canada & USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Canadian dealing with child support case from an American mother. Baby not born yet

No baby = no child support case -- i.e., you cannot be "dealing with [a] child support case" for an unborn baby.

I got mislead into this trap.

No you didn't. Unless you're going to claim that she raped you, you willingly had unprotected sex, which means you willingly accepted the potential consequences, including a pregnancy.

Now, she's coming after me for child support because she knows it'll be hard for me to get involved with the baby due to distance and nature of my work.

Or maybe, just maybe, she intends to seek child support because she expects the father to help support the child he willingly helped to create. Again, actions have consequences.

The family law of her State says that I have no way out of this even if I dissolve my parental right.

The laws of every U.S. state provide that parents must financially support their children, and no U.S. state allows a parent to escape that obligation by "dissolv[ing] [his or her] parental rights."

Do I have to fill it out?

You're not obligated to cooperate in any way. While she can seek child support in her state (which I assume is Michigan), there are a couple of threshold issues. Where did the sex that resulted in this pregnancy take place? If it wasn't in Michigan, then she may have difficulty getting jurisdiction over you. Obviously, in order to obtain a child support order, she'll have to establish your paternity, and you are free not to cooperate in that process.

She only knows that I live in Canada and who I work for and nothing else.

So...she doesn't know your name or where you live (not even the province)?

Is it safe to do it this way or will there be big penalties and get arrested?

I'm not sure what "this way" means, but the only way you might get arrested is if you willingly refuse to pay support pursuant to a valid court order.

I did not want to get into the details of how I think she got pregnant because at the end the court won't even bother listing to me if I have solid proof that she found tricky ways to get pregnant.

I'm not sure if you're questioning that some other man might be the father (a definite possibility) or suggesting that she might have been artificially inseminated. In any even, your comment about a woman gets pregnant because of "tricky ways" is nonsense.

there isn't any court in this earth that will listen to a man's case when it comes to questioning a pregnancy regardless whether it's yours or not.

More nonsense.

I was looking for answers on how will both government handle this case due to currency differences (CAD to USD), standard of living and child from first relationship.

Ummm...that's not at all what you asked, but this question is really vague, so I'm not sure what exactly it means. Obviously, any U.S. court will take the exchange rate into account.

I did not want to get into the details of how I think she got pregnant because at the end the court won't even bother listing to me if I have solid proof that she found tricky ways to get pregnant. there isn't any court in this earth that will listen to a man's case when it comes to questioning a pregnancy regardless whether it's yours or not.

If you don't ride the pony, you will never be accused of harming the pony.

Just say NO.

Only you can protect yourself, which prohibits you from ending up being hounded for child support.

If you don't lie down to satiate your carnal thirst, you'll never have to fear Maury shout, "You are the father!"

Schadenfreude. You're indulging yourself in this practice. If this is why you signed up here for then it's very sad.
Actually no. I just think for your wife to be blindsided by your adultery would be a horrible thing. What is very sad, is that you cheated on your wife and want to hide it. Kind of a all around low-life thing to do.

I suggest you read the link I gave you along with the criminal actions that can be taken if you don't pay the court ordered support.

Actually no. I just think for your wife to be blindsided by your adultery would be a horrible thing. What is very sad, is that you cheated on your wife and want to hide it. Kind of a all around low-life thing to do.

I suggest you read the link I gave you along with the criminal actions that can be taken if you don't pay the court ordered support.

ETA: Now THIS would be "schadenfreude" :

Perhaps you will luck out and this guy will be the Dad. ;)

Doctor accuses Oregon clinic of illegally using his donated sperm for 17 children

If you don't ride the pony, you will never be accused of harming the pony.

Just say NO.

Only you can protect yourself, which prohibits you from ending up being hounded for child support.

If you don't lie down to satiate your carnal thirst, you'll never have to fear Maury shout, "You are the father!"

You're adding no value to this forum besides entertaining yourself with your pony analogy. I tried to ignore you but I had to thank for "trying" to help me. You're wasting your time in the wrong forum talking about ponies. Jesus!

No baby = no child support case -- i.e., you cannot be "dealing with [a] child support case" for an unborn baby.

No you didn't. Unless you're going to claim that she raped you, you willingly had unprotected sex, which means you willingly accepted the potential consequences, including a pregnancy.

Or maybe, just maybe, she intends to seek child support because she expects the father to help support the child he willingly helped to create. Again, actions have consequences.

The laws of every U.S. state provide that parents must financially support their children, and no U.S. state allows a parent to escape that obligation by "dissolv[ing] [his or her] parental rights."

You're not obligated to cooperate in any way. While she can seek child support in her state (which I assume is Michigan), there are a couple of threshold issues. Where did the sex that resulted in this pregnancy take place? If it wasn't in Michigan, then she may have difficulty getting jurisdiction over you. Obviously, in order to obtain a child support order, she'll have to establish your paternity, and you are free not to cooperate in that process.

So...she doesn't know your name or where you live (not even the province)?

I'm not sure what "this way" means, but the only way you might get arrested is if you willingly refuse to pay support pursuant to a valid court order.

I'm not sure if you're questioning that some other man might be the father (a definite possibility) or suggesting that she might have been artificially inseminated. In any even, your comment about a woman gets pregnant because of "tricky ways" is nonsense.

More nonsense.

Ummm...that's not at all what you asked, but this question is really vague, so I'm not sure what exactly it means. Obviously, any U.S. court will take the exchange rate into account.

Your response is greatly appreciated. The rest should take a note on how to response. They were too busy criticizing me and give obvious and repeated answers. I'm not going to waste time trying to justify my story. Yes, I messed up, but she had motives. It is what it is. I'm not looking for sympathy. I'll deal with it.

So. If I settle an agreement with her that means my direct payment to her will be from the net income. How can I get the CS agency take the amount from my gross income to reduce the tax? I know the amount is calculated based on the gross income but is it taken/withdrawn from your gross income? Can you please explain how this works?

Your response is greatly appreciated. The rest should take a note on how to response. They were too busy criticizing me and give obvious and repeated answers. I'm not going to waste time trying to justify my story. Yes, I messed up, but she had motives. It is what it is. I'm not looking for sympathy. I'll deal with it.

So. If I settle an agreement with her that means my direct payment to her will be from the net income. How can I get the CS agency take the amount from my gross income to reduce the tax? I know the amount is calculated based on the gross income but is it taken/withdrawn from your gross income? Can you please explain how this works?

You should hesitate in agreeing to direct payments, especially with someone you do not trust.

See if the child support payments go through her state's child support enforcement agency. That way it is documented what you actually paid.

If you make direct payments to her without a court order, those will be considered a "gift".
If you make direct payments to her when there is a court order, you have to be vigilant with your bookkeeping, documenting every payment, because she might lie and say you're not paying her.

I know nothing about Canadian tax law.

You should hesitate in agreeing to direct payments, especially with someone you do not trust.

See if the child support payments go through her state's child support enforcement agency. That way it is documented what you actually paid.

If you make direct payments to her without a court order, those will be considered a "gift".
If you make direct payments to her when there is a court order, you have to be vigilant with your bookkeeping, documenting every payment, because she might lie and say you're not paying her.

I know nothing about Canadian tax law.

Thanks!!
Let's say I'm an American citizen. How would they set up the payment method? It will be taken from my gross or net income? It's a huge difference.

It all depends on the state in which she resides and where the CS case is filed.

I guess the OP has changed his screen name....

How can I get the CS agency take the amount from my gross income to reduce the tax? I know the amount is calculated based on the gross income but is it taken/withdrawn from your gross income?

You're going to need to consult with a local attorney about this. I can't give you any information about Canadian child support law (or the law of any Canadian province).

I guess the OP has changed his screen name....

You're going to need to consult with a local attorney about this. I can't give you any information about Canadian child support law (or the law of any Canadian province).
Apparently OP thought "White Knight" much more suitable for a guy that committed adultery/ cheated on his wife/girlfriend. :rolleyes:

Apparently OP thought "White Knight" much more suitable for a guy that committed adultery/ cheated on his wife/girlfriend. :rolleyes:

You're a joke.
I'm starting to think this hit you really hard because you got cheated on in the past. So, now this triggered you to spreading your misery on me. I faced my wife and I paid for my mistake, but she handled this better than you have, seriously. Let go of this please. Don't invest your emotions and time on it. This is my problem and I'm dealing with it. Thnx 4 ur concern.

You're a joke.
I'm starting to think this hit you really hard because you got cheated on in the past. So, now this triggered you to spreading your misery on me. I faced my wife and I paid for my mistake, but she handled this better than you have, seriously. Let go of this please. Don't invest your emotions and time on it. This is my problem and I'm dealing with it. Thnx 4 ur concern.

This will be your only warning.
STOP insulting or arguing with other posters.
I took the hit on me, but I won't tolerate any more hits on others.
You've received answers.
If you need more information, contact an attorney.
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED, don't open another on THIS or a SIMILAR topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back