Child support from felon on parole..how can I enforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallasgirl

Hello,
I am in need of information as to where I can go for help.
I currently have a child support order for the father of my 2 children. He was released from prison after 4 years. The support order was active the whole time he was in prison, and now sits at 14,000.00 arrearage.
As a condition of his parole, he is required to have a job, and pay certain fees for his parole. Now, he has obtained permission from the state of Texas to move to Louisiana and live with his aunt. I called his aunt's house and left a message that I would like to speak with him about his children. I was told not to call there anymore.
I received a revision of the child support order that grants me 525.00 per month, (350.00 current support, and 175.00 monthly arrerage) This was forwarded to his current employer who refuses to comply because he is leaving soon.
His aunt has a grass cutting business and plans to employ him there. The problem is that they take cash and do not report their earnings. It is my understanding that he will be required to pay parole supervision fees in Louisiana, however, since he has not lived in Louisiana for 6 months, he is not considered a resident, and therefore, I cannot go through the Dept of Child Support. I want to know if at the time he moves this next week if he is still considered a Texas resident, and if so, how long does he have to be in arrearage before that is considered another offense? How do I go about filing contempt or process to put him back in prison? He originally went to jail for assaulting our daughter, and I am currently involved with crime victims program.
I am a single mother, and really cannot afford to hire an attroney. I did all this to start with without an attorney because legal aid could not help me. All I need to know is where to start..I am considering a collection service, but then again they take as much as 50 percent, and that is too much...
Any insight would be extremely helpful..
Michelle

Wouldn't the Child Support division in Texas be able to answer your questions? Go to http://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/ They have a contact number and maybe someone there will be able to help you. Look under Enforcement under Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Child Support Recovery Act

Not all crimes against children involve physical violence. Some, such as the failure to pay child support, effect the economic well-being of the child. The Child Support Recovery Act (CSRA) of 1992, makes the willful failure to pay a past due support obligation with respect to a child residing in another state a federal misdemeanor offense. The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act (DDPA) of 1998, amended the CSRA of 1992. The DPPA established felony violations for traveling in interstate or foreign commerce to evade a child support obligation or for failing to pay a child support obligation which is greater than $10,000 or has remained unpaid for a period longer than two years. Previously, child support cases involved only a misdemeanor violation with a penalty of less than one year imprisonment.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/recovery.htm

Collecting child support from felon..

Yes, the OAG is already involved, thats how I initially got the support order, its the enforcement that I am having a problem with. Since the Dept of Criminal Justice and the Attorney General are separate entities, they do not communicate. If it was known to the Dept of Criminal Justice that he is over 10,000.00 in arrearage, then perhaps he would not have been granted permission to leave Texas and reside in Louisiana, and Louisiana is not willing to assist in collection of child support since he is not a resident of that state. I appears to me that he is possibly trying to avoid this and actually being aided by his parole officer here in Texas, as there is no communication with me on her part.

Is this to the point that I will be forced to hire an attorney, in anyone's opinion?
Again, any insight is helpful..
Thanks for the responses..
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back