child neglect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi11172

I am very undecided as to what to do with my case--to take it to trial or accept the plea bargain of a year's probation.

What happened was I woke up one morning to 4 police officers in my house because my 2 year old son went out a window and was sitting on the ledge. At the time I lived on the 2nd floor in an apartment. As soon as I was awake each one of the officers took turns screaming at me for letting this happen.

I always had a gate in the window when the window was open--(when the window was shut it was impossible for my 2 year old son to open it). The officers all saw the hardware for the gate because when they gave me half a chance--I asked them if they all saw it. I know I shut it the night before because I am deathly afraid of bats--which seem to come in when I leave that window open because there is a very little gap between the screen and the window.

My boyfriend went to work that morning and said that he checked eveything and everything was locked and shut. (I have locks on everything--the fridge/oven/all the doors). Somehow though my son got out of the window. I do have a set of twin boys that were 13 at the time and one is known to sleep walk as we have caught him doing a number of things, such as almost leaving the apartment, or turning on or off a tv. Although I cannot prove this except that I have talked to his doctor about his sleepwalking in the past because I was worried that he would hurt himself or actually leave the house.

I work third shift at a hospital and the third shift police officers know this--the incident happened at around 7:00 a.m. right during shift change--so all the officers first and third shift police were in my apartment. Also I am currently enrolled in school for criminal justice--I did want to do something such as social worker but now it almost seems impossible and I am almost done obtaining my bachelor's degree.

Anyone that knows me thinks this is bull as I have helped so many people dealing with children, whether it be babysitting or teaching a parent about computers so that they can monitor their children.

Currently I took a leave from school because I am just too stressed out over this to even think about school. Also I talked to my boss and asked her to break up my days. (At the time of the incident I was working 3-4 nights in a row with very little sleep as my boyfriend works first shift).

What can I do? Take the probation and hope that I can do something with a criminal justice degree and a neglect charge or go to trial and fight it?

This case is in is Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Do you have an attorney? Your child could have been killed by this, that is why everyone is taking it so seriously. Eric Clapton's 2 year old son was killed in a similar manner-he also fell out of a window that was apparantly left open or partially open by a maid. It is very unlikely a child would be able to unlock a locked window, so they might be thinking the window may have been left open.
You really need an attorney if you do not already have one.

Yes, I have an attorney. I realize that my child could of fallen and been killed, I repeatedly thanked the officer when he came back to take a statement. My boyfriend, my twin boys and I always treated the window as a very serious issue when it concerns my two year old son which is why I find it so hard to believe that it was open.

I am also taking this issue very seriously and have changed many things in my life to make sure that this does not happen again such as dropped my hours at work, dropped my school load, and I have found someone to babysit if necessary.

Where is the child now, has he been removed from the home? Is your boyfriend the father of him?

The child was never removed from the home. Social services did come to the house and her last response was "This was obviously a fluke". She saw that I had locks on everything. I recieved a copy of the report from her and in the report she stated that she did not feel that there were any threats in the home.

Yes, the boyfriend is the father of the child.

Well, that lawyer isn't much help. What is he saying you should do to get this dismissed? Anything? Or does he just want you to plead guilty?

I agree he has not been much help and he has not really said anything except that a parenting class may help. He has told me that just because I have been convicted with such a crime does not disqualify from doing anything in criminal justice, I would just have to work harder at it. I currently work in a hospital and if I am convicted of such a crime I would no longer even be allowed to work there.

The fact that my lawyer has not said anything is the reason as to why I am confused as to what I should do. The reason I hired a lawyer was to get it dismissed. I have absolutely nothing on my record and thought there was a good chance that it could get dismissed. I would even settle for a sentence deferment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back