Child Guardianship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda_Penn

I would like my grandson to attend the school in my district because I am his babysitter and it is more convenient for me to get him there and back everyday. The school says the only way he can go there is if I have legal guardianship. What reprecussions would this have for myself and my daughter who is divorced from the father? Would this require his permission?

guardianship

linda. i gave guardianship to my sister of my 5 yr old daughter. i also in the mean time had to get her fathers permission as well. there wasn't really any trouble from him. but just make sure if you do decide to go for it. if there is a court order of child support that the lawyer knows about it. and when you decide to go to court that the judge also knows about it. and in turn you can start recieveing that money for your grandchild.

In addition to tgee's comment, I'd just like you to be sure that you investigate all your obligations if you choose to file for guardianship. It's not a status that can be shed at will and could come into play especially if your daughter is not responsible or the child is especially difficult to handle (e.g., autistic). Consider the situation where taking care of the child might become difficult for you and you may wish to divest yourself from guardianship but your daughter is not around or may have a lack of interest. You may want to discuss the situation with your lawyer prior to filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back